Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Setting a value in an add-in

Is there some way to set a cell value or a public variable in an add-in from
another worksheet that is using the add-in? If so, how? TIA!

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim myVal as variant
myval = workbooks("otherworkbook.xls").worksheets("sheet1" ).range("a1").value

If I understood.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually I wanted to do the reverse
(workbooks("otherworkbook.xls").worksheets("sheet1 ").range("a1") = myval).

When I tried setting a cell value it ignored the statement without raising
an error. Wondered if perhaps instead I could access a public property.

Jim

polandjc wrote:

Is there some way to set a cell value or a public variable in an add-in from
another worksheet that is using the add-in? If so, how? TIA!

Jim

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nope... no error trapping at all. Acts as if it set a value in the
spreadsheet but there's nothing there. I'd rather use a public variable
though as it seems cleaner.

Jim

polandjc wrote:

Is there some way to set a cell value or a public variable in an add-in from
another worksheet that is using the add-in? If so, how? TIA!

Jim

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess I'm confused.

You have a workbook and an addin.

The code you're running is in which?

The value is in which?

The public variable is in which?

polandjc wrote:

Is there some way to set a cell value or a public variable in an add-in from
another worksheet that is using the add-in? If so, how? TIA!

Jim

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My guess is you have a public variable in (say) workbookA.xls and you have your
code in workbookB.xls and the code is running from workbookB.xls.

If that's correct, put a function in workbooka.xls that looks like:

public myVal as variant

sub auto_open()
myVal = "something that sets that variable"
end sub

'this does half the work...
function getmyVar()
getmyvar = myVal
end function

Then in workbookb.xls, you can use something like

dim myOtherVar as variant
myOthervariable = application.run("workbookA.xls!getmyvar")

polandjc wrote:

Is there some way to set a cell value or a public variable in an add-in from
another worksheet that is using the add-in? If so, how? TIA!

Jim

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And creating the function in one workbook and running it from the other workbook
didn't work?

ps. I'm still confused at what's happening.

polandjc wrote:

Wow Dave, you have amazing patience!

That's close to what I'm trying, but I want to pass from workbookB.xls to
workbookA.xla the value to set myVal to.

Jim

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

My guess is you have a public variable in (say) workbookA.xls and you have your
code in workbookB.xls and the code is running from workbookB.xls.

If that's correct, put a function in workbooka.xls that looks like:

public myVal as variant

sub auto_open()
myVal = "something that sets that variable"
end sub

'this does half the work...
function getmyVar()
getmyvar = myVal
end function

Then in workbookb.xls, you can use something like

dim myOtherVar as variant
myOthervariable = application.run("workbookA.xls!getmyvar")

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK this is my most recent attempt:

Worksheet A:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Run ("WorksheetB.xls!SetName('test')")
End Sub

Worksheet B:

Pubilc sFileName As String
Public Sub SetName(ByVal sName As String)
sFileName = sName
End Sub

Starting the execution in Worksheet A, I get a run time error 1004
(Application-defined or object-defined error).

The additional wrinkle to this is that I want Worksheet B to be a protected
XLA.

Jim

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

And creating the function in one workbook and running it from the other workbook
didn't work?

ps. I'm still confused at what's happening.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Polandic,

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Run ("WorksheetB.xls!SetName('test')")
End Sub

If the name of the second workbook is WorksheetB.xls, then try:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Application.Run "WorksheetB.xls!SetName", "Test"

End Sub

---
Regards,
Norman