Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Default How to set programmatically focus on specified Excel row?

Hello,
1.
How to programmatically move focus from one Excel row into next one?
2.
How to programmatically make cell an ActiveCell?

Your thoughts appreciated,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Just select a different cell or row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I forgot to add.
When I try:
oExcel.Rows(CurrentRow, CurrentCol).Activate
I do have an error.

"Jack" <replyTo@newsgroup wrote in message
Hello,
1.
How to programmatically move focus from one Excel row into next one?
2.
How to programmatically make cell an ActiveCell?

Your thoughts appreciated,
Jack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thank you.
Using .Select works.
However I am "loosing" the ActiveCell, when using Rows().Select
Before selecting the row I had specified ActiveCell.
When Rows().select is done the first cell in that row becomes active. I do
not want that.
Jack

Jack wrote:

I forgot to add.
When I try:
oExcel.Rows(CurrentRow, CurrentCol).Activate
I do have an error.

"Jack" <replyTo@newsgroup wrote in message
Hello,
1.
How to programmatically move focus from one Excel row into next one?
2.
How to programmatically make cell an ActiveCell?

Your thoughts appreciated,
Jack

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do -- or more accurately why...

Whenever you select a row AFAIK it *always* selects the first cell in
the row. Thus, to achieve what you seem to be asking you would need to
revert to the originally selected cell. E.g.

Sub SelectRowOfActiveCellRetainingActiveCell()
Dim r As Range
Set r = ActiveCell
Rows(r.Row).Select
r.Activate
Set r = Nothing
End Sub

Now, if you subsequently want to drop down a row try this

Sub SelectNextRowOfActiveCellIfYouKnowWhatIMean()
Dim r As Range
Set r = ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0)
Rows(r.Row).Select
r.Activate
Set r = Nothing
End Sub

My recommendation: Explain why you're trying to do all this and maybe
someone will come up with a better approach.

HTH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Jack,
You said you wanted "to programmatically make cell an ActiveCell".
So the previous ActiveCell will no longer be active.

It is normally not necessary to .Select object in VBA to use them. Do you
really need to move the ActiveCell/selection ?

NickHK

Jack wrote:

I forgot to add.
When I try:
oExcel.Rows(CurrentRow, CurrentCol).Activate
I do have an error.

"Jack" <replyTo@newsgroup wrote in message
Hello,
1.
How to programmatically move focus from one Excel row into next one?
2.
How to programmatically make cell an ActiveCell?

Your thoughts appreciated,
Jack

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

when you want to retain the activecell
and its not on the same row, you need a multiarea select
like:

Union(ActiveCell, Rows(13)).Select

dont use rows(currentrow

use Cells(currentRow,desiredCol).Select
or
activecell.entirerow.cells(desiredCol).select
or
activecell.entirerow.columns(desiredCol).select
or again to retain the activecell

union(activecell,cells(activecell.row,desiredCol)) .select

many roads to Rome :)

--
keepITcool