Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default implicit file reference

Hello,

I'm declaring a DLL file (one of my own creation) in VBA with an
explicit directory reference thus:

Private Declare Function GetQuote Lib _
"C:\Documents and Settings\Pooka\Desktop\d3\StockMarket.dll" () As
Long

Since this isn't a standard .dll, it is in the same directory as the
..xls file that is calling it. My desire is to be able to send the .xls
and .dll files together to a friend and have them work together in any
directory without having to modify the VBA decleration. I tried the
following in hopes it would just look in the same directory as the .xls
file:

Private Declare Function GetQuote Lib _
"StockMarket.dll" () As Long

But it said it couldn't find the .dll file. Is there any way I can get
around this so that it won't break the moment I move the files into
another directory? (I have tried using CurDir, but the "working"
directory which this function returns is not the same as the directory
containing my .xls file.)

Regards,

Matt

--
Tuee
Tuee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31344

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt,

Maybe this might help...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c4aca9a609de4a

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"Tuee" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this, so please pardon my density...
does this explain how to make an indirect file reference (if that's
even the right term)? I don't quite see the connection...

--
Tuee
Tuee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31344
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510327

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, OK I didn't actually test that but i was assuming that you could
(dynamically) add a reference to your dll using the code outlined in the
post, then just call your functions without needing a "Declare...."
statement.

You would build the path to add the reference using "thisworkbook.path" and
the filename for your dll.

Tim

"Tuee" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this, so please pardon my density...
does this explain how to make an indirect file reference (if that's
even the right term)? I don't quite see the connection...

--
Tuee
Tuee's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510327

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay, I've tried:

Private Declare Function MeaningOfLife Lib _
thisworkbook.path & "StockMarket.dll" () As Long

But it says Error: expected string constant on "ThisWorBook.Path". Is
this a string? What would be the correct usage here?