Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Unique Idenification Number

Morning.

can anyone please help,

I am trying to allocate each enter on my spreadsheet we an unique ID,
but I haven't got a clue where to start. All I have is the First
initial and that of the Surname, DOB and gender. I have tried to get it
so that it is a mix of these four indicators e.g Joe Bloggs, 03/03/1975,
Male (JB030375M).

As you can see this does not really ID the individual, but it is
unique.

thanks in anticipation.

CLASH

--
Clash
Clash's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18951

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Clash,
Does the ID have mean something ?
Why not just use sequential number, suitably formatted.
e.g. 00001, 00002 etc

NickHK

"Clash" wrote in message

Morning.

can anyone please help,

I am trying to allocate each enter on my spreadsheet we an unique ID,
but I haven't got a clue where to start. All I have is the First
initial and that of the Surname, DOB and gender. I have tried to get it
so that it is a mix of these four indicators e.g Joe Bloggs, 03/03/1975,
Male (JB030375M).

As you can see this does not really ID the individual, but it is
unique.

thanks in anticipation.

CLASH

--
Clash
Clash's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=502386

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

NickHK,

Sequential numbering is okay, but I would have liked to be able as the
administrator to be able to lookup and identify the individual from the
ID number much like a National insurance or Social security number.

I'll try and record a macro to do it.

Cheers

CLASH

--
Clash
Clash's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=502386

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

SSN's are just numbers like NickHK was referring to. They are even reused,
which you will likely not have to do. I'm sure some office in Washington
D.C. has a big list of the person's name and SSN to match them up. I know
the IRS does for sure.

If you want to look up an ID it would be much easier to do if there was some
kind of sequence, again, like what NickHK suggested. Vlookup would be easily
applied for lookup.

If you are wanting to recognize the person based on the ID than that is
something completely different than an SSN. Maybe first name initial, last
name, hire date (i.e. jsmith01012006). Putting more of the individuals name
in the ID will help if you want to recognize it without having to look it up.
(I don't remember too many people's birthdays).