Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unique Number

As a teacher, I would like to assign each student a randon number that is
unique from any other student number. How am I able to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

what is the format of the number you are trying to assign?
how many students do you have?

"JDay" wrote:

As a teacher, I would like to assign each student a randon number that is
unique from any other student number. How am I able to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Random number no duplicates
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...ion/index.html
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JDay" wrote in message
As a teacher, I would like to assign each student a randon number that is
unique from any other student number. How am I able to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say you want random 4 digit numbers (range 1000-9999).

Enter the values 1000 thru 9999 in column A.
Enter =RAND() in column B and copy down

Sort both columns A & B by B. This "shuffles" the values in column A

Then just pick the first 30 or so values from column A
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200744