Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Prompting a user to open Read Only

Hi, This is a question about Excel 2000. I dont have access to anything
later than Excel 2000 at work so I am sort of stuck.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to write a macro that would prompt a
user to open a file as "read only" when they click to open it? I realize
that this can be done easily by checking a box in excel 2002... but ... i
dont have it...

so, i am thinking maybe something using the workbook_open event ? I am not
sure though, if after the file has technically been opened far enough to
execute and disply the workbook_open event that you can change the state from
read/write to read only. Can this be done? If so any idea how?

Basically i want a little popup box that strongly suggests other users
accessign the file open it as read only and give them a choice of 2 buttons,
read only, and read/write.

Thanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Once the file's open, I think it's too late. But I believe the 'read-only
recommendation' was available in Office 2000. In the SaveAs dialog, select
the Tools drop-down, then General Options. Do you have a check-box for 'read
only recommended?'

"quantboy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

to add to bpeltzer's response. There is no guarantee that the user will
enable macros. Even if it were possible it's not very reliable.

"quantboy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

I checked on a machine that has office 2000 here at work, and bpeltzer is
right - readonly is an option.

"quantboy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

bpeltzer, thanks!!! you are correct. i do have the option. i didnt see it
in the save as dialog, it's pretty well hidden. at home i have a new version
of excel and this option is located under tools/options i believe... i am so
glad i spent my morning trying to figure out something like this that could
be avoided if commands werent always being moved around in these versions of
ms office!

thanks again!