Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
quantboy quantboy is offline

Default Prompting a user to open Read Only

Hi, This is a question about Excel 2000. I dont have access to anything
later than Excel 2000 at work so I am sort of stuck.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to write a macro that would prompt a
user to open a file as "read only" when they click to open it? I realize
that this can be done easily by checking a box in excel 2002... but ... i
dont have it...

so, i am thinking maybe something using the workbook_open event ? I am not
sure though, if after the file has technically been opened far enough to
execute and disply the workbook_open event that you can change the state from
read/write to read only. Can this be done? If so any idea how?

Basically i want a little popup box that strongly suggests other users
accessign the file open it as read only and give them a choice of 2 buttons,
read only, and read/write.

Thanks!!!