Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Close Excel file without prompting user to save

I am a self-taught user of VB for Excel and I've come along pretty well, but
I'm getting stuck on something that seems like it should be fairly simple to
do. I have two files: File1 contains a macro that performs various
functions on File2. When the File1 macro is finished, I want File1 to close
automatically WITHOUT prompting the user if they wish to save (this file
should never be saved by the user). What can I do to force Excel to close
the file without an option to save?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use
ThisWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False
or
Workbooks("File1").Close SaveChanges:=False

"JDay01" wrote in message
I am a self-taught user of VB for Excel and I've come along pretty well,

but
I'm getting stuck on something that seems like it should be fairly simple

do. I have two files: File1 contains a macro that performs various
functions on File2. When the File1 macro is finished, I want File1 to

close
automatically WITHOUT prompting the user if they wish to save (this file
should never be saved by the user). What can I do to force Excel to

close
the file without an option to save?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is an excerpt for the VBA help file...

This example closes the workbook that contains the example code and discards
any changes to the workbook by setting the Saved property to True.

ThisWorkbook.Saved = True
ThisWorkbook.Close

You can look up the saved property if you need more explanation...

HTH
"JDay01" wrote:

I am a self-taught user of VB for Excel and I've come along pretty well, but
I'm getting stuck on something that seems like it should be fairly simple to
do. I have two files: File1 contains a macro that performs various
functions on File2. When the File1 macro is finished, I want File1 to close
automatically WITHOUT prompting the user if they wish to save (this file
should never be saved by the user). What can I do to force Excel to close
the file without an option to save?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set Application.DisplayAlerts to False, to not show the save changes
dialog box. However, that will stop Excel from prompting it, but still
give the user the ability to save it. You might want to look at the
BeforeSave event, to try to stop them from saving.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just a heads up for consideration:
I didn't test this particular case, but help says displayalerts = false
pursues the default action of the dialog.
Using displayalerts would suppress the prompt, but the default action would
be taken and that is to save the file.

Tom Ogilvy

"Darrin Henshaw" wrote in message
Set Application.DisplayAlerts to False, to not show the save changes
dialog box. However, that will stop Excel from prompting it, but still
give the user the ability to save it. You might want to look at the
BeforeSave event, to try to stop them from saving.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom:

I'm probably wrong <g, but I seem to remember that this is the one case in
which Excel does not perform the default action (despite what Help says).

Regards,

Vasant

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Just a heads up for consideration:
I didn't test this particular case, but help says displayalerts = false
pursues the default action of the dialog.
Using displayalerts would suppress the prompt, but the default action

would
be taken and that is to save the file.

Tom Ogilvy

"Darrin Henshaw" wrote in message
Set Application.DisplayAlerts to False, to not show the save changes
dialog box. However, that will stop Excel from prompting it, but still
give the user the ability to save it. You might want to look at the
BeforeSave event, to try to stop them from saving.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Vasant,

Believe you are thinking of overwriting a file.

Application.displayAlerts = False
thisworkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\MyFolder\MyExistingFilename.xls"
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

In xl2003 help, at least, they point this exception out.

Tom Ogilvy