Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I track the chart mouse events?

Hi,
I am using some charts embedded in Excel worksheets and I need to trac
the selection and mouse events. The Chart element is contained in
ChartObject container. Both Chart and ChartObject can be selected b
user. When user clicks a chart, the Chart object is selected and th
Chart class provides events for selection and mouse actions. If th
CTRL key is pressed before clicking the chart, the ChartObject i
selected and the context menu and the wire frame are different, th
ChartObject does not provide any event because it is an interfac
rather than a class. Can you give me a clue how can I track the mous
and selection events when the ChartObject is selected? My purpose is t
create a custom context menu that will be displayed any time the use
right clicks the chart, even if the chart is part o a multipl
selection.
Thank you,
Georg

--
george_scortar
george_scortaru's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2947

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe the chart is selected in shape edit mode at that point and as you
say, doesn't fire events.

Tom Ogilvy

"george_scortaru"
<george_scortaru.1zq0ey_1134044102.865@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:george_scortaru.1zq0ey_1134044102.865@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

Hi,
I am using some charts embedded in Excel worksheets and I need to track
the selection and mouse events. The Chart element is contained in a
ChartObject container. Both Chart and ChartObject can be selected by
user. When user clicks a chart, the Chart object is selected and the
Chart class provides events for selection and mouse actions. If the
CTRL key is pressed before clicking the chart, the ChartObject is
selected and the context menu and the wire frame are different, the
ChartObject does not provide any event because it is an interface
rather than a class. Can you give me a clue how can I track the mouse
and selection events when the ChartObject is selected? My purpose is to
create a custom context menu that will be displayed any time the user
right clicks the chart, even if the chart is part o a multiple
selection.
Thank you,
George

--
george_scortaru
george_scortaru's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=491784

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi George,

Maybe you could also add a button to the "Shapes" popup commandbar to cater
for when chartobject(s) is/are selected. If user clicks your button would
need to ensure it only works with charts.

To add right click item for whenever user right-clicks on a chart would
involve adding (& removing) buttons to all the chart right-click popups,
here are some to consider -

Chart
Floor and Walls
Format Axis
Format Data Series
Format Legend Entry
Formula Bar
Inactive Chart
Object/Plot
Plot Area
Series
Trendline

Regards,
Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My understanding is the OP wants to cater for any right click on a chart.
The list of popups in the "second" suggestion may be activated when user
clicks somewhere on the chart that was not selected as a chartobject with
Ctrl.

However to add or correct from my previous post -

The "Shapes" bar is only useful if multiple chartobjects (shapes) are
selected. For a single chartobject it would be the "Inactive Chart" bar.

regards,
Peter T