Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joe joe is offline

Default unable to get the Interior property of the range class

I get a variety of messages telling me VBA is "Unable to get [set] the
xxx property of the Range class". xxx may be Interior.Pattern or
Numberformat, for example.

Password protection is managed by code in this application, but at the
points the problem arises, I have executed code in the immediate
window to unprotect the workbook and all sheets. Plus, this works fine
on 3 other machines.

All four machines on which this is run have the same configuration:
Excel 2003 (11.6355.6408) SP1 and XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP 2 build 2600. We
also have the Framework CLR. The appliction was developed on one of
the other 3 machines.

This is very frustrating! Any clues would be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only a clue/speculation but worth checking. It is obviously
machine-dependent, and it works fine on all the others with the same Office
and Win install. So, under normal circumstances we should expect the machine
would behave like the others but it isn't. There must be something different
in its setup, but not in the "obvious" things.

If it is not recognizing an object's properties, one cause is that it thinks
it is looking at a different object (Class). Check the References that are
checked off in the VBA editor Tools... References. Maybe it is using an
older Excel object library, even though the new one is installed. Or,
(doubtful) maybe it is using some other object model that has a "Range"
object in it. If there are object name conflicts, VBA would use the highest
priority (i.e. the one checked first in the list of references).
--
- K Dales

"joe" wrote:

I get a variety of messages telling me VBA is "Unable to get [set] the
xxx property of the Range class". xxx may be Interior.Pattern or
Numberformat, for example.

Password protection is managed by code in this application, but at the
points the problem arises, I have executed code in the immediate
window to unprotect the workbook and all sheets. Plus, this works fine
on 3 other machines.

All four machines on which this is run have the same configuration:
Excel 2003 (11.6355.6408) SP1 and XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP 2 build 2600. We
also have the Framework CLR. The appliction was developed on one of
the other 3 machines.

This is very frustrating! Any clues would be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An "Unable to set the property of the range class" message might not
indicate a problem with setting the property but rather an inability (due to
lack of information) to find the specified Range under the current
conditions.

Is your Range fully qualified? i.e., are you specifying a workbook &
worksheet:
ThisWorkbook.Sheet("Sheet1").Range("myRange").Inte rior.Pattern
rather than the "shortcut" version:
Range("MyRange").Interior.Pattern?
The "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" element of your post makes me ask
because the 2nd sample can fail with the error you describe if certain
assumptions are incorrect: i.e., the active workbook or active sheet (which
are what VB will assume unless you tell it otherwise) are different than
expected and therefore vb can't resolve MyRange (or if there is no active
sheet...).

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"joe" wrote:

I get a variety of messages telling me VBA is "Unable to get [set] the
xxx property of the Range class". xxx may be Interior.Pattern or
Numberformat, for example.

Password protection is managed by code in this application, but at the
points the problem arises, I have executed code in the immediate
window to unprotect the workbook and all sheets. Plus, this works fine
on 3 other machines.

All four machines on which this is run have the same configuration:
Excel 2003 (11.6355.6408) SP1 and XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP 2 build 2600. We
also have the Framework CLR. The appliction was developed on one of
the other 3 machines.

This is very frustrating! Any clues would be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I took the advice of one reply, and compared the project's references on
my machine to those on the other three machines. Voila! I have 5 refs,
they each have 4. BUT my "extra reference" library is Microsoft Forms
2.0 Object Library, which seems to contain controls - buttons, text
boxes and so on. addinga single form to a new project in a new workbook
automatically adds this library. How can the others not have it? Very
odd...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In repsonse to George's comments, I added some debug code. Once an OK
button is clicked in the application, the problematic line actually gets
executed several times (4, acutually) before causing an RT error on the
5th time.

I can see nothing in the code that would change state from one time to
the next. What could it be other than the environment? And what in the
environment other than protection? (static_int is a local static
variable. I expected it to increment, so now I have another mystery.)

Set wksht = Worksheets("DataInput")
Set theCell = wksht.Cells(cur_row, ValCol)
If cur_row = 11 And ValCol = 11 Then
static_int = static_int + 1
Debug.Print "Static_int = " & static_int & ", sheet = " &
wksht.name
End If
If theCell.Interior.Pattern = xlGray16 Then...

Debug Output:
Static_int = 1, sheet = DataInput
Static_int = 1, sheet = DataInput
Static_int = 1, sheet = DataInput
Static_int = 1, sheet = DataInput
Static_int = 1, sheet = DataInput
<runtime error "Unable to get the interior property of the Range class"