Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I change the color of a cell depending on the result of the function in that cell

In other words how do I find the cell the formula is returning a result
to in order to change (say) the interio color of the cell depending on
the result of the formula?

--
Mo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

Look at Format = Conditional Formatting in the menu.

Thanks, but I don't want to use conditional formatting, I want to know
how to do it from my own function.

I tried ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = RGB(128, 0, 0) from within the
formula but that doesn't change the color of the cel as I thought it
might. I assume the cell that the formula returns a value to isn't
necessarily the active cell.

--
Mo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Colorindex is a number, an index into the 56 colour palette. So red would
be

Activecell.Interior.Colorindex = 3

If you want to use RGB, use the Color property, but be aware Excel will map
it to the closest colour on that same 56 colour palette.

And finally, just to cheer you up, you can't set the colour from a worksheet
function, just return a value. So it won't work anyway.

Tom was right, use Conditional formatting :-)).

--

HTH

RP

"Mo Childs" wrote in message
Tom Ogilvy wrote:

Look at Format = Conditional Formatting in the menu.

Thanks, but I don't want to use conditional formatting, I want to know
how to do it from my own function.

I tried ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = RGB(128, 0, 0) from within the
formula but that doesn't change the color of the cel as I thought it
might. I assume the cell that the formula returns a value to isn't
necessarily the active cell.

--
Mo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add, when you ask a question that has an obvious answer, but you
don't want the obvious answer, why not say that in the problem statement and
that will cut down (won't necessarily eliminate) the number of people
providing the obvious answer.

Tom Ogilvy