Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rog Rog is offline

Default Disabled add-ins

Hi All

We have recently upgraded to XL2002, and although it has gone well, there
are a few issues we have come across; the following one we haven't been able
to get around :

We have a few "checked" (Tools|add-ins) add-ins which reference other
add-ins (which aren't "checked"). We have seen cases where, eg, if excel
crashes whilst opening, one of the add-ins will be placed in the "disabled"
basket (Help|About|Disabled Items). As a result of this the user gets a host
of compile errors on opening Excel because not all the add-ins are being
loaded. It doesn't matter whether the add-in which was quarantined was an
installed one or not (if it was an installed one, Excel still refuses to load
it)

Now it seems the only way to force Excel to load this "bad" add-in is to
open it manually, and after a warning saying last time it opened it caused a
catastrophic failure, it opens happily.

Unfortunately, our users are not very familiar with Excel, and are scattered
around the world. We manage their add-ins through scripts which populate the
"Office\10.0\Excel\Options" path in the registry to install their add-ins.
You can see our problem in that even though the disabled add-in is in this
folder, it still won't be loaded.

I can see the disbaled add-in is in the "Resiiency\DisabledItems" folder in
the registry, but the name is encoded. We could delete all items in there as
part of our script, but is there a more localised solution?

Thanks

Rog

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may want to go back to the root cause.

I think I'd delete those addins from my harddrive, remove them from the disabled
list, and reinstall them (either from the Office distribution CD or from
whatever source you have).

Maybe something bad happened to that/those addins????

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rog Rog is offline

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

The add-ins are ones that we have created, and they reside on a server.
There is nothing wrong with the add-ins themselves, but sometimes, for
whatever reason, Excel is interrupted/crashes on loading, and then
subsequently thinks it was a problem with our add-ins and refuses to load
them.

They are then placed in this "disabled add-ins" basket, in an encoded form.

Any more ideas?

Rog wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If excel thinks that there's something wrong, then either there is (in excel's
eyes) or excel is messed up.

Maybe trying to fix excel (help|detect and repair or reinstalling) would help.

But I'd still refresh those addins from a clean source.

(I got nothin' else.)