Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Disabled add-ins

You may want to go back to the root cause.

I think I'd delete those addins from my harddrive, remove them from the disabled
list, and reinstall them (either from the Office distribution CD or from
whatever source you have).

Maybe something bad happened to that/those addins????

Rog wrote:

Hi All

We have recently upgraded to XL2002, and although it has gone well, there
are a few issues we have come across; the following one we haven't been able
to get around :

We have a few "checked" (Tools|add-ins) add-ins which reference other
add-ins (which aren't "checked"). We have seen cases where, eg, if excel
crashes whilst opening, one of the add-ins will be placed in the "disabled"
basket (Help|About|Disabled Items). As a result of this the user gets a host
of compile errors on opening Excel because not all the add-ins are being
loaded. It doesn't matter whether the add-in which was quarantined was an
installed one or not (if it was an installed one, Excel still refuses to load
it)

Now it seems the only way to force Excel to load this "bad" add-in is to
open it manually, and after a warning saying last time it opened it caused a
catastrophic failure, it opens happily.

Unfortunately, our users are not very familiar with Excel, and are scattered
around the world. We manage their add-ins through scripts which populate the
"Office\10.0\Excel\Options" path in the registry to install their add-ins.
You can see our problem in that even though the disabled add-in is in this
folder, it still won't be loaded.

I can see the disbaled add-in is in the "Resiiency\DisabledItems" folder in
the registry, but the name is encoded. We could delete all items in there as
part of our script, but is there a more localised solution?

Thanks

Rog

--

Dave Peterson