Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SG SG is offline

Default Insert if not exist

Hello,

I'm assigned a task to append monthly data to sheet 1. In sheet1, it
includes acct#, acctname, 1st mth sales. When the 2nd mth sales is generated
with the same format, I want to append it to sheet1 in this way which if
this account exists, append the sales to the column beside 1st mth sales, it
the account does not exist, add one new line to the bottom with 1st mth
sales "0".
sheet1 data would be like"

acct# acctname 1st mth 2nd mth
1001 abc 1 2
1002 bcd 0 3 (not exist before)

How can I achieve this? If need more explaination, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi there,

I'm really failing to see what you need for help. What I wouuld do, is
select your header rows (if multiple headers, the one directly above the
first line of data) and select Data | Filter | Autofilter. Then if you need
to check for an account number, select the (assuming "acct#" is column A)
drop down arrow in column A, see if it's there. If it is, select it, then
enter your data as necessary. If you do not see it in the list (it's a
unique list only) then it's not there and you know to add it.

You can automate this, but I'm not really seeing a reason as to why. Do you
already have some automation in this wokbook/worksheet?

Another thing I would do is to select the entire row of your first row of
data, below your header row(s). Or select a cell and press Shift +
Spacebar, to select the entire row. Then goto Window | Freeze Panes. This
will always keep your headers visible when scrolling, allowing 100% access
to your autofilter drop downs.

HTH

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

"SG" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm assigned a task to append monthly data to sheet 1. In sheet1, it
includes acct#, acctname, 1st mth sales. When the 2nd mth sales is
generated
with the same format, I want to append it to sheet1 in this way which if
this account exists, append the sales to the column beside 1st mth sales,
it
the account does not exist, add one new line to the bottom with 1st mth
sales "0".
sheet1 data would be like"

acct# acctname 1st mth 2nd mth
1001 abc 1 2
1002 bcd 0 3 (not exist before)

How can I achieve this? If need more explaination, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SG SG is offline

Hi Zack,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm sorry I didn't explain my need very
clear.

What I wanted to do is that, within the table, I like the file(sheet1) will
be like the below eventually:

acct#, acctname, 1st mth sales, 2nd mth sales.....etc.

For example, I started this month, I will have 1st mth sales in the spread
sheet, but rest of the columns are not there yet until later.
2nd month, I will retain the 1st mth sales, will grab the 2nd months sales
from a seperate file(sheet2) with same format (acct#/acctname/2nd sales).
3rd month, I will retain 1st and 2nd, add 3rd mth sales into sheet1 and so
do the rest.

Since it will be doing every month, I like to automate it. Is that possible
to achieve this in excel?

Thanks,
Sarah

"SG" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm assigned a task to append monthly data to sheet 1. In sheet1, it
includes acct#, acctname, 1st mth sales. When the 2nd mth sales is
generated
with the same format, I want to append it to sheet1 in this way which if
this account exists, append the sales to the column beside 1st mth sales,
it
the account does not exist, add one new line to the bottom with 1st mth
sales "0".
sheet1 data would be like"

acct# acctname 1st mth 2nd mth
1001 abc 1 2
1002 bcd 0 3 (not exist before)

How can I achieve this? If need more explaination, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, it's very possible to achieve this in Excel. You would need to explain
how you would input this information, what parts you want automated. You
have the information entered somewhere. I'm thinking, off the top of my
head, a userform to perform these actions. This would give you the added
flexibility that (I believe) you are asking for. Can you email me the
workbook? (Ensure you take out NOSPAM from the email addy.)

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"SG" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm assigned a task to append monthly data to sheet 1. In sheet1, it
includes acct#, acctname, 1st mth sales. When the 2nd mth sales is
generated
with the same format, I want to append it to sheet1 in this way which if
this account exists, append the sales to the column beside 1st mth
sales,
it
the account does not exist, add one new line to the bottom with 1st mth
sales "0".
sheet1 data would be like"

acct# acctname 1st mth 2nd mth
1001 abc 1 2
1002 bcd 0 3 (not exist before)

How can I achieve this? If need more explaination, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sarah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SG SG is offline