Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Rogue Password on Properties and References

I just merged some password protected code (modules, class modules and
forms)into another file with code that was not password protected. The
original passworded code stopped users from viewing modules and userforms.
It stopped the user from being able to expand the module/form trees in the
project window. It never prevented me from viewing Tools/References

I started having problems with the new merged file. Its prompting me for
passwords when I go to Tool/References or when I try to look at the
Properties of modules. When I try my old passwords, they do not work. So I
deleted the new modules and forms from the mereded file, went back to the old
file, turned off the password protection, saved the file, and imported them
again into the new file. When I opened it up, I went to Tools to see if i
could see the References. I was allowed not problem. But when I went to the
modules and right clicked on propterties, it prompted me again for a
password. I then went back to Tools/Reference and once again I am prompted
for a password. However it will not take my password.

I have now come to the conclusion that the problem may be with the file I
merged the new code into. This seems to be the source of the password
prompt. I started from scratch in an unmerged version of it. But what is
odd about it is that althogh its protected, the trees are fully expanded and
you can get into the code. I just simply cannot view the properties or
refences. The author (guy I work with) of the code does not know how this
happened. He says he did not consiously set one.

How do I get passed this protection? Is there a setting I can go to? I just
simply want to see the properties and turn off protection on the
References!!!!!!!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ME TOO!

Hope my smaller problem might help find answer......

I have a similar issue with a user form I exported to a file then imported
the file into another project. In the new project, I can see the form & code
- even change it - but in the VBE the properties come up totaly blank. I
look forward to someone's answer, as otherwise i was just going to rebuild
from scratch.

"ExcelMonkey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I had a problem recently not being able to "fully" unlock my addin with
correct password. Nothing to do with merged files though. Amongst a myriad
of suggestions from Dave Peterson was this:

Another way while in the VBE:
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window):
type this and hit enter:
workbooks("youraddinname.xla").save

I was amazed it worked, I think Dave was surprised too!

Our scenarios are not the same but might be worth a try as a long shot.

Regards,
Peter T

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

PS
Before saving, I did this:

Select the project name in the left panel

in the immediate window paste this

? thisworkbook.FullName

With the cursor in same line hit enter.
Embrace the returned fullname with quotes

workbooks("fullname").save [enter]

Regards,
Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Saving in the Immediate Window did not work. THanks anyways. I guess
another way would be to start from a new file (new sheets, import modules and
forms). But I fear that importing will import the problem again.

THanks

"Peter T" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I got around all of this by creating a new Excel file, copying original
worksheets and pasting in new file, and by importing all modules and forms
from original file. It works but I do not know why!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

"Peter T" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

TRY:
Save all work under different name

download and run
archive.baarns.com/excel/free/Exceluts.asp
VBA Code Cleaner - an automated way to do what you are discussing

"Peter T" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

first bookmark
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/xltools.htm

then from there download teh VBA Code Cleaner
it automatically does what you are discussing