Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cell colour chg when formula results equal a weekend day, i.e., "Saturday" and a date that falls on a Saturday?

Hope the subject line isn't totally muddy <g.

I have a spreadsheet that is super. The only trouble is that weekends
aren't differentiated from weekdays in any way.

Since the spreadsheet contains a macro for the user to select the starting
date and then the rest of the spreadsheet is then populated for 3 weeks
following that date, Saturday and Sunday always fall on different cells at
any given time. Also, affected cells may say "Saturday" or "Sunday" but
there is actually only a formula in any of them. The only exception is the
very first cell which is the initial one the macro dumps to. So the first
might read "Friday" if I choose today's date in the prompt box, but all the
rest of the days of the weeks shown display the dates according to
appropriate variations of this formula:

=IF(A2<"",A2+1,"")

In today's example, this actual formula above displays "Saturday". The cell
immediately below displays "Sep.17.2005". I'm hoping that since it's the
same type formatting issue, hopefully resolving cell colouring for the text
"Saturday" issue will lead me to figure out how to do so for dates that fall
on weekends.

Is there a way to do this cell colour change under these conditions?

I'm in favour of conditional formatting, but couldn't figure out how to do
so because of the fact above that no actual text is found where all the
Saturdays and Sundays are, only the formula. Tx.! :oD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look at Excel's WEEKDAY function, eg

=WEEKDAY(mydate,3)

If it returns 0-4 it's a weekday. Lends itself nicely to conditional
formatting.

Regards,
Peter T

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You mentioned that you already have a macro on this spreadsheet to pick up
the first date. If you were to run the following macro after you had
completed the selection I think it will do what you want.

Public Sub COLOURCELL()

For Each c In Range("workingdays")
c.Select
If Weekday(ActiveCell.Value) = 1 Or Weekday(ActiveCell.Value) = 7 Then
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 6
.Pattern = xlSolid
End With
End If
Next c
End Sub

June

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This weekday function looked promising but the same trouble may exist as
befo the dates will always vary in any given cell. B2 may have any day
of the week.

When I finally got a working formula - at least, it returns a value - I get
Thursday instead of Saturday.

I modified this: =IF(A2<"",A2+1,"")

to what would work, which happened to be this:
=IF(A2<"",WEEKDAY(A2+1,3),"")

And in the cell that is formatted to show date in text format, it says
Thursday instead of Saturday.

Did I do something wrong?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't follow where/how your IF function comes into things. But one way or
another it should be possible to use the results of the WEEKDAY function to
CF your cells. Look in help for the second argument in the function. I used
value 3 so that Mon-Fr returns 0-4, making it easy to return True/false in
another formula.

Enter a date in A1, eg Ctrl-semicolon
In B1, =TEXT(A1,"dddd")
Apply CF to B1 like this

Change "Cell value is" to "Formula is"
=WEEKDAY($A1,3)<5
Apply some format

Add condition-2, also "Formula is"
=WEEKDAY($A1,3)4
apply a format

Select A1:B1
Grab the small selection handle bottom right, drag down. You should see
Sat-Sun with different format to Mon-Fri.

As I said, I don't follow your IF function so you will need to adapt.
Perhaps helper cells with the same formula as above, to return simply
True/false.

Note the row ref in the formula is relative (without a $) to allow you to
copy the formula down.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another possibility -

You say you are returning days as Text. Sat & Sun are the only days that
start with an "S" - right? (in English at least).

so you could change the first formula in my previous example to
=LEFT($B1,1)="S"
assuming day as text is in B1 and the first character in the cell relates to
the day.

Regards,
Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:02:09 +0100, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions
wrote:

OK I got your file and think I follow. We were so nearly there!

First to clarify to others to avoid downloading your file.

A1 contains a day name as a string, that of the date in A2
A2 contains a Date
A3 is an empty cell

A1 & A2 are populated with a macro (before the macro is run the cells are
empty)

A1 & A2, CF with medium grey and A3 with light grey, if A2 is a Sat or Sun
and A2 actually has a date.

This pattern of 3 cells is repeated 3*7 times with incremented dates by use
of an If formulas

------------------
CF's for A1, A2 & A3 will have exactly the same formula using the "Formula
Is" setting:
=AND(WEEKDAY(A2,3)4,A2<"")

Format colour for A1 & A2 medium grey, light grey for A3
Copy A1:A3 an pastespecial formats over the entire area, a multiple of 3
rows.

Regards,
Peter T

Thank you. I will look at this tonight. At least you're still saying
it's do-able! <lol