Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Differebnce betwen VB and VB,.net

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is a VB stand along application. the core of that is VBA. The office
programs also use VBA for their macro languages.

VB.Net is a completely different language that has it roots in VB/BVBA and
much of the syntax is the same or very similar but there are significant
differences as well.

You can buy VB.Net (or more likely Visual Studio which includes vb.net) from
Microsoft or any retailer that sells development tools for windows.

You might be able to get a copy of the original VB from Ebay or someplace
like that.

Some other sources of information:

http://www.theopensourcery.com/vbnet.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/pro...w/default.aspx

Tom Ogilvy

"filo666" wrote in message
Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Both VB and VB.net are stand alone applications which can create precompiled
executable files (don't need Excel or any other program to run). VBA is a
subset of VB6. It only works in conjuction with Office. VB.Net is the
latestest version of Visual Basic. Essentially it is VB7. There are more
differences between VB6 and VB.net than can be discussed on this form. In a
nut shell VB.net is designed to work better with the other MS developement
applications like C# and C++, as they all compile to similar source code.
This means that VB6 code needs to be modified to complie under VB.net (no
more changing the option base, error handling is drastically changed, every
project must have a "Main" procedure...). Also VB.net is truely object
oriented while VB6 is not (a little bit but not completely).

As Tom mentioned VB6 and VB.net can be purchased stand alone or as part of
the MS Developer Suite (The same way you can purchase just Excel or you can
purchase the entire office suite).
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am sure there are many that would adamantly disagree that VB.Net is the
latest version of VB Classic. Your explanation infers that one should get
the latest, but since the OP's main use is going to be using the Windows
API, I don't think anything is further from the truth.

Tom Ogilvy

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can

find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use

VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I didn't think I was infering that you should get VB.net, but if that is how
it reads thanks for pointing it out. As for VB.net being the latest version
of VB classic I agree that it is debateable. It is kind of like saying that
an Ipod is just the latest version of a Walkman. They are both exactly the
same and yet completely different.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can

find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use

VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To add to the illumination:

http://vb.mvps.org/vfred/breaks.asp

http://vb.mvps.org/
see working without a .NET

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one

of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I

can
find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can

use
VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I signed that petition long ago, not that I think it will help. MS has
decided to head in a very specific direction with the whole .net platform and
I can not see them maintaining two seperate developement streams for this...
More is the pitty but when the bomb drops at least we will have job security
fixing that which no longer runs.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one

of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I

can
find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can

use
VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I knew avbout the Autocad thing but I did not know about IIRC. Interesting...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Were you saying buy VBA as a product and use it as a development
environment?

VBA is a product that developers can use to install a macro language in
their application.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/isv/techno...a/default.aspx

I don't believe it provides the facilities to make a standalone application.
(although it may include classic VB and/or other language, but then why not
just get classic VB ).

Tom Ogilvy

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can

find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can

use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Feeling stupid and looking about the same... I just figured something else
uses VBA... How nice for it... Interesting... I think I will just crawl under
a rock now...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear HTH:

I didn't mean to cause embarrassment (or spelunking or any kind of rock
crawling).

(Yes, I have seen that kind of response!)

Acronyms/jargon can be DTFO (difficult to figure out).

"filo666" wrote:

Vould someone explainds me what's the difference betwen VB (the one of
office) and VB.net, and if them are different programmes, where I can find
(buy or download) the .net version, also I'ld like to know if I can use VB
without oppening any office program (excel, word or acces)
TIA

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Best laugh I had all week... I haven't wiped the smile off my face since I
read it... Reminds me a story from "The Book of Heroic Failures". True
stories of things gone wrong. A parish Priest spent years compiling info on
all of the people burried in the local cemetery. Spent a couple of years
looking up a Head stone with HWP and a date on it. Finally gave up and put an
add in the local paper to find out if anyone knew of a HWP burried in the
local cemetery. He got a response and found out that the marker denoted the
location of the Hot Water Pipe...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson