Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Generate a unique form number

I am using Office 2003 on Windows XP.

I have a form built in Excel that will be placed in an Outlook folder making
it accessible to all users within our organization.

Each time a user opens this form a unique number must be generated on the
form.

Suppose I convert the Excel date to a value: e.g. Aug 17, 2005 becomes 38363
and for time I use 5:34:15 pm = 173415. Now suppose I add these two numbers
together and also add the user's computer ID to this (each user must have a
unique computer ID) for example: 83177.

This would then be 38363 + 173415 + 83177 = 294955

Question: Since this value is date and time based and combines a unique
computer ID, would this ALWAYS generate a unique six digit form number?

The form number does need to be unique, but not necessarily in sequence Any
one have any other suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Quartz,

See JE McGimpsey's Sequential Numbers page at:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

---
Regards,
Norman

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Norman.

I don't need sequential numbers, just unique ones. I don't really want to
mess with the registry nor maintain a separate file to track the numbers.

That's why I was looking for a numbering method that could be generated
based on date, time, and user computer ID. Do you think my concept would work
to generate a unique number?

Even if two users happened to open the template file within the same second,
their unique box ID would still render a unique number. I'm just worried
about numbering overlap between years, etc. What do you think? - Do you know
any other websites to check?

Thanks much for your help!

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

quartz,

This will not give a unique number.
If the same user goes in the next day, but 1 second earlier, your formula
would give the same result.
Same user number, date increased by 1, time reduced by 1.

Henry

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Quartz,

I seem to recall an especially interesting post from Harlan Grove on the
topic of creating unique numbers.

It might be worth performing a google search for Harlan's Unique Number
contributions.

---
Regards,
Norman

"quartz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

? cdbl(Now*10^10)
385823491435185

It would be highly unlikely that this number would be duplicated. You could
prepend a unique letter combination for each user to insure uniquensss

? "ABC" & cdbl(Now*10^10)
ABC385823512615741

Tom Ogilvy