Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Summary Page Macro

I would like to create an Excel workbook that helps me to produce th
yearly budget for our organization. Here is how I would like it t
work:

1. Tab #2 would use four columns. The columns are as follows:
A = Main Account Title
B = Sub-account title
C = Description
D = Yearly Cost

2. I would like the macro to pull the Main Account Title over to Ta
#1 Column A, then sum up all of the yearly cost amounts that appea
under the Main Account Title from tab #2 and drop this total ont
Column B of Tab #1.

3. This process is repeated for each Main Account Title found on Ta
#2.

As you can see, Tab #1 becomes a summary of all of the financia
breakdown from Tab #2. A macro that is always running in th
background would seem to work much better here than me having t
copy/paste each Main Account Title and the sum of its sub-accounts
especially when I need to make a change in the number of sub-accounts
have under any given Main Account Title.

Thank you very much,
Mik

--
mjwillyon

Excel novice - but learning
mjwillyone's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=311
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39591

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is easily accomlished using a pivot table. Your tab 2 which has 4
columns is ideal to Pivot. Select the range of data and Hit Data - Pivot
Table - and follow the wizard. Place A at the very top above the table.
Place B & C in the right hand columns and the amounts in the middle. Right
click on the A field at the very top and select view pages (This part assume
you are using Excel 2K or less. Off the top of my head I know you can do this
with 2002 and above but I do not remember exactly how).
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"mjwillyone" wrote:

I would like to create an Excel workbook that helps me to produce the
yearly budget for our organization. Here is how I would like it to
work:

1. Tab #2 would use four columns. The columns are as follows:
A = Main Account Title
B = Sub-account title
C = Description
D = Yearly Cost

2. I would like the macro to pull the Main Account Title over to Tab
#1 Column A, then sum up all of the yearly cost amounts that appear
under the Main Account Title from tab #2 and drop this total onto
Column B of Tab #1.

3. This process is repeated for each Main Account Title found on Tab
#2.

As you can see, Tab #1 becomes a summary of all of the financial
breakdown from Tab #2. A macro that is always running in the
background would seem to work much better here than me having to
copy/paste each Main Account Title and the sum of its sub-accounts,
especially when I need to make a change in the number of sub-accounts I
have under any given Main Account Title.

Thank you very much,
Mike

--
mjwillyone