Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel File Renamed to HEX

I have an Excel VBA app where I (and 3 or 4 others) read/write to an Excel
file that exists on a local network drive. At random times, the file is
renamed to an extension-less HEX number during the read/write, open/close
process. I am told that this HEX file is a temporary file and that Excel uses
and then renames back to the original file name (under perfect conditions). I
have this app at about a dozen locations around the country. Each location
experiences this problem from time to time. How can a avoid this problem?

Thanks for any insight.

Chris Picklesimer
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When Excel saves a workbook with the name of an existing workbook it first
saves it with a random name. If the save is successful it then deletes the
existing workbook and renames the randomly named file to the name of the
deleted file. When the temporary file is still on disk it means the rename
was not successful. The reason for this is usually that a virus checking
program has the file open. You may be able to change a setting on the virus
checking to prevent this conflict from happening.

--
Jim
"Chris Picklesimer" wrote in
|I have an Excel VBA app where I (and 3 or 4 others) read/write to an Excel
| file that exists on a local network drive. At random times, the file is
| renamed to an extension-less HEX number during the read/write, open/close
| process. I am told that this HEX file is a temporary file and that Excel
uses
| and then renames back to the original file name (under perfect
conditions). I
| have this app at about a dozen locations around the country. Each location
| experiences this problem from time to time. How can a avoid this problem?
|
| Thanks for any insight.
|
| Chris Picklesimer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have noticed that when a VB program opens an excel file while it is already
open, there is no message to tell you that it is locked. This can cause some
very frustrating problems, including data loss.