sirsoto

Default Trying to open file, may have renamed it

I have a file stored on my flash disk. I am trying to open it but I get an
error message that reads:

"If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used
files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved,
or, deleted."

The situation: I may have renamed it, I can't remember; I didn't delete it,
nor did I move the file. In fact, when I look at the details of the file
details I can see the following:

Name: blah blah blah
Size: 18KB
Type: MS Excel
Date Modified: 04/22/2003

Is there some way to open this file given that the data still exists on my
flash disk?
Paul B

sirsoto, try putting the file on your hard drive and then opening it

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"sirsoto" wrote in message
I have a file stored on my flash disk. I am trying to open it but I get

an
error message that reads:

"If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used
files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed,

moved,
or, deleted."

The situation: I may have renamed it, I can't remember; I didn't delete

it,
nor did I move the file. In fact, when I look at the details of the file
details I can see the following:

Name: blah blah blah
Size: 18KB
Type: MS Excel
Date Modified: 04/22/2003

Is there some way to open this file given that the data still exists on my
flash disk?

sirsoto

I apologize for not asking all of my questions in one reply. I know you are
very busy.

I also wanted to ask if I can continue to save these files on my flash disk.
This was my reasoning for the "why" question in my last reply. And, what do
I do with the files that didn't open?

Thanks

"sirsoto" wrote in message
I have a file stored on my flash disk. I am trying to open it but I get

an
error message that reads:

"If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used
files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed,

moved,
or, deleted."

The situation: I may have renamed it, I can't remember; I didn't delete

it,
nor did I move the file. In fact, when I look at the details of the file
details I can see the following:

Name: blah blah blah
Size: 18KB
Type: MS Excel
Date Modified: 04/22/2003

Is there some way to open this file given that the data still exists on my
flash disk?

Paul B

sirsoto, this is talking about using a floppy but I would think it would
also apply to a flash drive

From MS KB articles:

"NOTE: Due to the advanced file handling techniques employed with the Office
family of applications, it is not recommended that you routinely
open and save Office documents using diskettes."

#28: Avoiding Opening and Saving Directly from Floppy Disk
When you open a workbook, Microsoft Excel creates temporary files in the
folder in which you save the file and in the folder from which you opened
the workbook. These temporary files are deleted when you close the file.
Also, Microsoft Excel creates a copy of the file on the media when you save
the file. This behavior may be problematic if you open a workbook from a
floppy disk or if the floppy disk does not have enough free space to
accommodate the file.
For these reasons, it is a good idea to copy the file to your hard disk
before you work with it. After you make modifications, save the file to the
hard disk, and then copy it back to the floppy disk.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"sirsoto" wrote in message
I have a file stored on my flash disk. I am trying to open it but I

get
an
error message that reads:

"If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently

used
files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed,

moved,
or, deleted."

The situation: I may have renamed it, I can't remember; I didn't

delete
it,
nor did I move the file. In fact, when I look at the details of the

file
details I can see the following:

Name: blah blah blah
Size: 18KB