Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default weights

I am trying to find a formula for vlookup and sumif.
I am trying to build a spreadsheet for our drafting dept.
The weights are being calculated by hand. I think it would be easier if
we had a spreadsheet.

For example, I have a channel that is C 8 x 11.5 the length is 7ft
6inch. The weight of the channel is .852 pounds per foot. I am able to
calculate that in excel and come up with 86 pounds rounded. The
material will change every time and the weight of the material will
change every time. The length of the material will also change. I can
input the length every time. What I want is to create a list where
excel will do VLOOKUP and pull a different item every time something is
typed in.

I have put the spreadsheets on my web page. www.mykaltx.com.
If you have any problem I have put my email on the web page.

--
mykaltx
mykaltx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22055

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
In BOOk3:

On Sheet2, select cells A2:B4 and name as "Weights" (
Insert==Name==Define); Extended beyond row 4 as required when you build the
full table. You could set it to (say) B1000 initially.

put the following in Cell v20 and copy down.

=ROUND(VLOOKUP(G20,Weights,2,FALSE)*(R20*12+T20)/12,0)

This will calculate weight and round.

You will get a "#N/A" for entries which are not in the table unless you add
an ERROR handler using an IF statement as below

=IF(ISERROR(ROUND(VLOOKUP(G20,Weights,2,FALSE)*(R2 0*12+T20)/12,0)),"No
entry",ROUND(VLOOKUP(G20,Weights,2,FALSE)*(R20*12+ T20)/12,0))

I am not sure what data you want to use in "SUMIF".

HTH