Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Accessing personal macro's all the time

Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Eugene,

Macros saved in your Personal workbook will be available to all worksheets.
If you do not already have a Personal workbook, record a dummy macro and
select 'Peronal Macro Workbook' in the store dropdown. This will create the
workbook and you can delete the dummy macro.

Alternatively, you can store the macros in a workbook, saving the workbook
as a Microsoft Excel Addin in 'Save as Type' box. Then:
Tools | Addins | Browse to your saved Addin.
Thereafter, these macros will be available to all workbooks.

---
Regards,
Norman

"leaftye - ExcelForums.com" wrote
in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Eugene,

Macros saved in your Personal workbook will be available to all
worksheets.

should be:

Macros saved in your Personal workbook will be available to all workbooks

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Amk Amk is offline

Hi
How does one set up a "Personal Macro Workbook"? I cannot find the store
dropdown menu.
Thanks.--
Al

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, AMK. I've got a screenshot under Step 1 at:

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want

do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Al,

"AMK" wrote in message
Hi
How does one set up a "Personal Macro Workbook"? I cannot find the store
dropdown menu.
Thanks.--
Al

Tools | Macro | Record New Macro

Enter "MyDummyMacro" in the Name
Leave the Shortcut box blank
In the next box (which is a dropdown), select:
'Personal Macro Workbook'
Click OK
Click the 'Stop Recording' toolbar button.

You will now have a hidden Personal workbook which will reside in your
XlStart folder and will open (hidden) everytime that you manually open XL.

(In my version of XL, the dropdown box has a 'Store Macro In' caption - but
this may be different for you!)

---
Regards,
Norman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:39:29 +0100, "Norman Jones"
wrote:

Hi Eugene,

Macros saved in your Personal workbook will be available to all
worksheets.

should be:

Macros saved in your Personal workbook will be available to all workbooks

What about the error that seems to come up quite often. After
recording macros to the personal.xls file, every once in a while I get
this error:

"A document with the name 'PERSONAL.XLS' is already open. You cannot
open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in
different folders.
To open the second document, either close the document that's
currently open, or rename one of the documents."

If I go through the tedious process of re-assigning every single macro
to the toolbars, that seems to clear this for a while but sooner or
later, that error pops up again and I no longer have access to my
macros. What gives with this error, anyone know?

p.s., also, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to matter whether it's a
standalone computer like at home or one at the office with a lot of
access to network functions. This happens in both cases without my
knowing why. One day I'll access one of the buttons and this message
will pop up. Thanks.

---

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi StargateFan,

My bet is that at some point(s?) you have upgraded Office/OS.

Different versions may have differing default startup folders.

I would suggest that you do a Windows Start | Search to locate both/all
copies of Personal.xls. It is very likely that each will contain procrdures
that you may wish to retain; so some judicious cut & paste work may be
entailed before you can safely delete the extraneous version.

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:49:36 +0100, "Norman Jones"
wrote:

Hi StargateFan,

My bet is that at some point(s?) you have upgraded Office/OS.

Different versions may have differing default startup folders.

I would suggest that you do a Windows Start | Search to locate both/all
copies of Personal.xls. It is very likely that each will contain procrdures
that you may wish to retain; so some judicious cut & paste work may be
entailed before you can safely delete the extraneous version.

Nope. No upgrades, either here or at office. At home have only ever
had my W98SE and at office, only upgrades they do are to security
patches. What could cause this at home, then, and one could cause
this at office.

There is no second PERSONAL.XLS here at home when that happens, btw.

Thanks! :oD

---
Regards,
Norman

.. .

wrote in message ...
Does the lack of responses mean it's not possible to do what I want to
do, or that I need to go back and read chapter 1 of my excel
programming book?

Eugene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi StargateFan,

My only other guess is that files(and buttons/toolbars) get transferred
between home and office and that the locations of the Personal.xls files
differ between the networked office computer and your home machine.

---