Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Custom Menus & "Begin a Group" option

With Excel 2000, we could use the "Begin a Group" command to put a separator
line between a couple of menu items, but in Excel 2003 it does not seem to
work. It looks like the "color scheme" of Excel 2003 "hides" the intended
effect.
How do I successfully employ the "Begin a Group" command in Excel 2003?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just set the BeginGroup property to True.

..BeginGroup = True

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"JMMach" wrote in message
With Excel 2000, we could use the "Begin a Group" command to
put a separator
line between a couple of menu items, but in Excel 2003 it does
not seem to
work. It looks like the "color scheme" of Excel 2003 "hides"
the intended
effect.
How do I successfully employ the "Begin a Group" command in
Excel 2003?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I did not make my question totally clear. So let me clarify. I am
talking about a manual process, and not an automated process:
When in Excel, I open the Customize dialog box, then I attempt to modify an
existing toolbar. I can right-click on a button or menu item in my custom
toolbar, and select Begin a Group from the context menu, but I do not see
any change. In Excel 2000 doing this same action would put a grey line above
the button or menu item that was right-clicked. That is not happening in
Excel 2003.
Thanks.
TTFN
JMMach

"JMMach" wrote in message
With Excel 2000, we could use the "Begin a Group" command to
put a separator
line between a couple of menu items, but in Excel 2003 it does
not seem to
work. It looks like the "color scheme" of Excel 2003 "hides"
the intended
effect.
How do I successfully employ the "Begin a Group" command in
Excel 2003?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you layout your toolbar right to left--not top to bottom, then the begingroup
is easier to see.

With the prettiness of the dropdowns in the newer versions of excel, maybe it's
just the builtin shading that's hiding the begingroup line.

"JMMach" wrote in message
With Excel 2000, we could use the "Begin a Group" command to
put a separator
line between a couple of menu items, but in Excel 2003 it does
not seem to
work. It looks like the "color scheme" of Excel 2003 "hides"
the intended
effect.
How do I successfully employ the "Begin a Group" command in
Excel 2003?
Thanks in advance.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are right, I can see the begin group line when the toolbar layout is
right to left. However I would like to go top to bottom. I guess Microsoft
has "fixed" it.
So unless the begin group line color can be changed, a work-around will be
to use a menu item with a string of the "_" character, and the assigned
macro simply being an empty shell of a procedure.
Do you have any other suggestions? How do we tell Microsoft to "fix this
again"?
Thanks again.
TTFN
JMMach

"JMMach" wrote in message
With Excel 2000, we could use the "Begin a Group" command to
put a separator
line between a couple of menu items, but in Excel 2003 it does
not seem to
work. It looks like the "color scheme" of Excel 2003 "hides"
the intended
effect.
How do I successfully employ the "Begin a Group" command in
Excel 2003?
Thanks in advance.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have much lower standards than you <bg.

You can write to

asking for a change.

I'm not sure I would phrase it as a "fix", though. Maybe a "reverse
enhancement"???