Junior Member

Thumbs down Help displaying "Maximum" or "Minimum" if cell is max or min in a group?

Hi,

i am creating an excel spreadsheet for a class I am taking. I have a set of numbers (c2:c6), and my prof wants to have "Most Sales in Quarter" or "Fewest Sales in Quarter" displayed in the F column beside the number if it is either the maximum or minimum of the set. I've been at this for a while, and can't figure it out. Anyone help me out?

EDIT:
The Question is

Display the words “Fewest Sales in Quarter” or “Most Sales in Quarter” next to the stores that have the fewest and most sales for that quarter, respectively. Be careful when to use absolute and when to use relative addressing in the formula!

Last edited by RussAllison : February 23rd 11 at 09:34 PM
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussAllison View Post
Hi,
i am creating an excel spreadsheet for a class I am taking. I have a set of numbers (c2:c6), and my prof wants to have "Most Sales in Quarter" or "Fewest Sales in Quarter" displayed in the F column beside the number if it is either the maximum or minimum of the set. I've been at this for a while, and can't figure it out. Anyone help me out?
EDIT:
The Question is
Display the words “Fewest Sales in Quarter” or “Most Sales in Quarter” next to the stores that have the fewest and most sales for that quarter, respectively. Be careful when to use absolute and when to use relative addressing in the formula!

Dear RussAllison, Good Evening.

You can use the MAX and MIN FUNCTIONS to determine the “Fewest Sales in Quarter” or “Most Sales in Quarter”.
You can use the IF FUNCTION to ask individually each cell of the C2 : C9 interval to determine if this cell is a MIN or a MAX of the interval.

Do this:

F2 -- =IF(C2=MIN($C$2:$C$6),"Fewest Sales in Quarter",IF(C2=MAX($C$2:$C$6),"Most Sales in Quarter",""))

Copy it down untill F9.

Try this one and tell me if it worked for you.
Fell free to ask anything about it.
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão