Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Custom Filtering - Limitations of the "Contains" option

I have a column with many values in it separated by a Pipe "|". In some
records the text string "QREG" is present. Yet when I use the auto - custom
fileter with the contains options selected nad enter the text QREG, the
filter does not work correctly and these records get filtered out instead of
remaining.

Is there limitations on the number of characters Excel can apply the
contains options to? Can you tell me any limitations excel may have using the
custom filter contains option?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I cannot replicate your problem on my Excel 2003.

Pipe de-limited text containing QREG is properly filtered using "contains"

I don't believe there are limitations but how many characters would be in a cell
with "many values"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:00 -0700, Timothyg787
wrote:

I have a column with many values in it separated by a Pipe "|". In some
records the text string "QREG" is present. Yet when I use the auto - custom
fileter with the contains options selected nad enter the text QREG, the
filter does not work correctly and these records get filtered out instead of
remaining.

Is there limitations on the number of characters Excel can apply the
contains options to? Can you tell me any limitations excel may have using the
custom filter contains option?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gord,
Thanks for the reply. What I have found is that if I move the text I am
filtering for closer to the beginning of the text in the cell the filter than
works. So, is it possible that the contains filter only works up until say
the first 255 characters.

Thanks,

wrote:

I have a column with many values in it separated by a Pipe "|". In some
records the text string "QREG" is present. Yet when I use the auto - custom
fileter with the contains options selected nad enter the text QREG, the
filter does not work correctly and these records get filtered out instead of
remaining.

Is there limitations on the number of characters Excel can apply the
contains options to? Can you tell me any limitations excel may have using the
custom filter contains option?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi again Gord,
I am using Excel 2000.
I have tested further and find that if the character(s) I am filtering for
is within the first 255 characters then the filter works. As soon as the
character(s) being filtered for are beyond the 255 range the filter no longer
works correctly.
I used the LEN function to validate.

I may have more than a 1,000 characters in any given cell so as a tool the
filtering will not be useful if this limitation can not be altered.

Is there any way to increase this limitation?

Thanks,

wrote:

I have a column with many values in it separated by a Pipe "|". In some
records the text string "QREG" is present. Yet when I use the auto - custom
fileter with the contains options selected nad enter the text QREG, the
filter does not work correctly and these records get filtered out instead of
remaining.

Is there limitations on the number of characters Excel can apply the
contains options to? Can you tell me any limitations excel may have using the
custom filter contains option?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can't change the behavior, but you can use a different technique:
http://contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#String
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the assist Dave.

I had forgotten about that 255 char limitation.

I think I now remember pointing someone to Debra's site some time ago for the
same issue.

As in.........before breakfast today<g

Gord