Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Timothyg787 Timothyg787 is offline

Default Custom Filtering - Limitations of the "Contains" option

Hi again Gord,
I am using Excel 2000.
I have tested further and find that if the character(s) I am filtering for
is within the first 255 characters then the filter works. As soon as the
character(s) being filtered for are beyond the 255 range the filter no longer
works correctly.
I used the LEN function to validate.

I may have more than a 1,000 characters in any given cell so as a tool the
filtering will not be useful if this limitation can not be altered.

Is there any way to increase this limitation?

Thanks,

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I cannot replicate your problem on my Excel 2003.

Pipe de-limited text containing QREG is properly filtered using "contains"

I don't believe there are limitations but how many characters would be in a cell
with "many values"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:00 -0700, Timothyg787
wrote:

I have a column with many values in it separated by a Pipe "|". In some
records the text string "QREG" is present. Yet when I use the auto - custom
fileter with the contains options selected nad enter the text QREG, the
filter does not work correctly and these records get filtered out instead of
remaining.

Is there limitations on the number of characters Excel can apply the
contains options to? Can you tell me any limitations excel may have using the
custom filter contains option?

Thank you.