Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Counting Letters

I have a spreadsheet where there are C's and I's stored as values in column.
I need to be able to count the I's and store the number in a cell.

Thanks,
--
Sherry N.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sherry, if I understand your question, you have a column containing c's and
i's and you'd like to determine the number of i's in that column.

You can use the "COUNTIF" function to accomplish this task. Let's say the
range of your column of c's and i's is A1 to A20. To determine the number of
"i" entries, enter this formula into the cell where you want the result to
appear:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"I")

Note that this function is not case-sensitive so COUNTIF(A1:A20,"i") would
yield the same result.

"Sherry N." wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where there are C's and I's stored as values in column.
I need to be able to count the I's and store the number in a cell.

Thanks,
--
Sherry N.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Sherry,

Say your result will be in cell A50 and the I are in C1: C49, the
formula for A50 would be...

=CountIf(C1:C49, "I")

Sincerely,
Leith Ross