Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming automatic data entry?

I'm currently creating "work tickets" on my Excel program and would like to
know how to program automatic data entry into my workbook. More specifically,
I would like to type in a company's name and have it's phone #, address, etc.
automatically appear in specific cells once that company's name is typed and
I press enter. Ultimately I would like to have dozens of company names on
file so that the process is simplified.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Create a database with all your company details e.g Col A = Company
Name, Col B=Address, Col C=Telephone # etc. The database is "Keyed" on the
company name i.e. this is your search parameter..

Then use VLOOKUP to get data associated with a given company.

e.g to get telephone number in say cell D3 then in D3 put:

=VLOOKUP(CompayName, Range("CompanyData"),3) whe-

CompanyName is the Company entered in your (selected) entry cell,
Range("CompanyData") is a named range containing all the company details
3 = selects the data in the third column (i.e. C)

You could use VBA do do this if required.

e.g. Range("D3")=Application.Vlookup( ........)

HTH

"Dayhole" wrote:

I'm currently creating "work tickets" on my Excel program and would like to
know how to program automatic data entry into my workbook. More specifically,
I would like to type in a company's name and have it's phone #, address, etc.
automatically appear in specific cells once that company's name is typed and
I press enter. Ultimately I would like to have dozens of company names on
file so that the process is simplified.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would also suggest a listbox or combobox linked to your company list to
choose the company name rather than typing it. If you rely on users typing
it, any little mistake might make the lookup fail. Using a linked list box
ensures an exact match.

"Dayhole" wrote:

I'm currently creating "work tickets" on my Excel program and would like to
know how to program automatic data entry into my workbook. More specifically,
I would like to type in a company's name and have it's phone #, address, etc.
automatically appear in specific cells once that company's name is typed and
I press enter. Ultimately I would like to have dozens of company names on
file so that the process is simplified.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dayhole,

You should try using VLOOKUP formulas in the columns that you want t
automatically fill with information. You can input the name into on
cell and have subsequent cells fill automatically.

VLOOKUPS have the following arguments:
Lookup_value - in your case, the company name (although I woul
recommend creating a primary key for this)
Table-array - a table you will create that has all the information yo
require
Col_index_num - indicates which column that data you are pulling int
the particular cell is located
Range_lookup - usually set to FALSE

Hope this help

--