Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DRK DRK is offline

Default Footers in which number of characters exceeds 255

The legal types are making me put in footnotes into my spreadsheets which
exceed 255 characters. First one they sent down had 428 characters in it. So
I can't put it in a cell or in a custom footer.

Please note: I'm running the official version approved by the company -
Excel 97.

I was thinking I could somehow plant a text box to hold the text. The text
will have variables in it. So I was going to use VBA to fill the box with the
calculated text. But I'm having some diffculty with it as it is not on a form.

Do I have any other options? Would a more recent or current version of Excel
provide any solution?
--
DRK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A cell can display at least 1024 characters and more if you hard code
returns in the string. So a cell should be able to handle 428 characters.
This includes xl97. In xl97, the limitation on a cell was increased to 32K
characters - although only 1024 will display or print (unless you embed hard
returns)

Tom Ogilvy

"DRK" wrote in message
The legal types are making me put in footnotes into my spreadsheets which
exceed 255 characters. First one they sent down had 428 characters in it.

So
I can't put it in a cell or in a custom footer.

Please note: I'm running the official version approved by the company -
Excel 97.

I was thinking I could somehow plant a text box to hold the text. The text
will have variables in it. So I was going to use VBA to fill the box with

the
calculated text. But I'm having some diffculty with it as it is not on a

form.

Do I have any other options? Would a more recent or current version of

Excel
provide any solution?
--
DRK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DRK DRK is offline

Thanks for the help. With your guidance I can put in more than the 255
characters. But it does not seem to carry over to the .CenterFooter for
example. Using the same code generated string, I can fill a cell with text
but the .CenterFooter can't be fooled. I get a Run-time error '1004' with the
message 'Unable to set the CenterFooter property of the PageSetup class'.

So I may punt and hope the lawyers will allow me to add a separate footnote
page after the column report.
--
DRK

"DRK" wrote in message
The legal types are making me put in footnotes into my spreadsheets which
exceed 255 characters. First one they sent down had 428 characters in it.

So
I can't put it in a cell or in a custom footer.

Please note: I'm running the official version approved by the company -
Excel 97.

I was thinking I could somehow plant a text box to hold the text. The text
will have variables in it. So I was going to use VBA to fill the box with

the
calculated text. But I'm having some diffculty with it as it is not on a

form.

Do I have any other options? Would a more recent or current version of

Excel
provide any solution?
--
DRK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I didn't say or mean to imply that the footers could hold more
characters. I thought you were considering putting the information in a
cell that would appear at the bottom of the printed page (all
calculated/setup manually) as a workaround for the footer limitation.

Tom Ogilvy

"DRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Thanks for reminding me that I can print multiple ranges on each page. I'm
trying to figure out why the second range appears on the next page rather
than on the same page. I made to clean out any page breaks from the sheet.

I specified the range in the macro as "$A$13:$G42,$A$120:$G$121"

Don

"DRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I reminded you of that fact, that wasn't my intent either. You can't
print multiple non contiguous ranges on the same page. Each area will go on
a separate page. What you can do is hide rows/columns in between, then
print one large range. another possibility is to copy the ranges and paste
them as linked pictures to another page, then arrange the pictures to
achieve your layout and print that page. There may be other clever
workarounds as well based on the particulars of your problem which I am not
privy to.

Tom Ogilvy