Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default DisplayAlerts & ScreenUpdating Properties Changing Unexpectedly

I have an Excel workbook that I am controlling via VBA through a module in
Microsoft Access. I have set the Excel DisplayAlerts and ScreenUpdating
properties to FALSE. However, whenever I use the select method
(.Range(A1).Select) the DisplayAlerts & ScreenUpdating properties
auotmatically change themselves back to TRUE. Does anybody know why this is
happening and how I can prevent it?

Dim appXL As Excel.Application
Set appXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
appXL.Workbooks.Open ("D:\My Documents\My Safe
Documents\WorkingATB\horton.xls")
appXL.Application.DisplayAlerts = False
appXL.Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'If I use a watch expression both properties are still indicating FALSE at
this point.

appXL.Range("C2").Select
'If I use a watch expression both properties have just changed back to TRUE
after the select method is carried out.

Help please!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default DisplayAlerts & ScreenUpdating Properties Changing Unexpectedl

I am using Excel 2000. However, when the file I am working with is sent to
Excel from Access (OutputTo action on a query) it defaults to an Excel 5.0/95
Workbook. Does this have something to do with it? If so any workarounds
that you know of. I appreciate the help.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is the only article I could find on it (I know there are others). This
article doesn't cite anything past xl95, but I know it was a problem through
xl97 and possibly through xl2000 (at least for one of the settings). The
article does suggest some workarounds I believe (or has links to some).
One workaround is to create a macro in the automated workbook. That macro
includes code to make the settings. Once created, it is then executed.
All this is done with the automation client.

Controlling Alerts and Updating in MS Excel OLE Server