Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
William Horton William Horton is offline

Default DisplayAlerts & ScreenUpdating Properties Changing Unexpectedly

I have an Excel workbook that I am controlling via VBA through a module in
Microsoft Access. I have set the Excel DisplayAlerts and ScreenUpdating
properties to FALSE. However, whenever I use the select method
(.Range(A1).Select) the DisplayAlerts & ScreenUpdating properties
auotmatically change themselves back to TRUE. Does anybody know why this is
happening and how I can prevent it?

Dim appXL As Excel.Application
Set appXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
appXL.Workbooks.Open ("D:\My Documents\My Safe
Documents\WorkingATB\horton.xls")
appXL.Application.DisplayAlerts = False
appXL.Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'If I use a watch expression both properties are still indicating FALSE at
this point.

appXL.Range("C2").Select
'If I use a watch expression both properties have just changed back to TRUE
after the select method is carried out.

Help please!