Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File Origin Japanese when importing textfiles

Weird problem: Whenever I manually import a textfile into Excel it always
suggest it's file orign to be '932 : Japanese (Shift-JIS)' although I have
never used that language in my Windows XP Pro setup - I have no idea why it
suggests this. Also the whole file will obviously be imported in Japanese
characters if I choose to import it with the suggested language setting.

Anyone have any ideas how to change it to default settings ? I'm not using
any 'weird' or out-of-the-ordinary text files.

The correct format is actually 'Windows (Ansi)', so how do I get Excel to
understand that ?

Kind regards
Rasmus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rasmus

maybe some registry settings were fouled.
probably:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engi nes\Text
CharacterSet ANSI (REG_SZ stringvalue)

if you have a copy op JETSQL40.CHM on your system
(installed with Access) you'll find them the topics explained.
else you have to try MSDN

Registry Settings for External Data Sources
- Initializing the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine Driver
- Initializing the Text and HTML Data Source Driver

hth

--
keepITcool