Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mauddib

Default Text file saving, setting file origin

I am having a problem when I save excel files as text, which is centred
around Russian Characters. The problem is too long to go into but it
involves one character changing, while all the others do not, when
importing the text into another system (Microsoft Navision is the
system). All the characters import perfectly except for 'C' which comes
in as 'T'.

I notice when I open text files in excel there is an option to select
FILE ORIGIN. However when I save a file as MSDOS TEXT and open it it
tried to open it as WINDOWS ANSI. If I force it to File origin of MSDOS
Text then it opens, and ALL my characters are perfect as I saved them.

Another user on another PC doing it for some reason it tried to open as
CHINESE even though the characters in it are russian Cyrillic.

My question is, does Excel some how set the format it thinks the file
is at save time, and if so is there any way i can force it to save as
RUSSIAN CYRILLIC or some other DOS Standard? If I can force this and
work out which way to force it then maybe i can find a format that
navision will import correctly.

--
mauddib
mauddib's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4169