Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default why does this fail?

public sub test()
dim c as integer,s1 as string, s2 as string
s1="My Message"
s2 = "My Title"
c=msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)
if c=vbyes then
msgbox "hi"
else
msgbox "bye"
end if
end sub

this is always displaying "bye"

why? c (just after assignment) contains 6
at the test, c is empty

what am i missing?

it works using

if msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)=vbyes then ....

jooc

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't know why it does not owrk for you. It works for me... The only thing I
see is that msgbox returns a long not an integer. Not thgat it has ever
caused me a problem using int but as a technicallity...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gixxer_J_97" wrote:

public sub test()
dim c as integer,s1 as string, s2 as string
s1="My Message"
s2 = "My Title"
c=msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)
if c=vbyes then
msgbox "hi"
else
msgbox "bye"
end if
end sub

this is always displaying "bye"

why? c (just after assignment) contains 6
at the test, c is empty

what am i missing?

it works using

if msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)=vbyes then ....

jooc

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It works fine for me too. As Jim says, technically the button constants are
Longs, but I also don't get a problem with Integer, and I tried with 97,
2000 and XP. If you have 2003, try it with Long.

--

HTH

RP

"Gixxer_J_97" wrote:

public sub test()
dim c as integer,s1 as string, s2 as string
s1="My Message"
s2 = "My Title"
c=msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)
if c=vbyes then
msgbox "hi"
else
msgbox "bye"
end if
end sub

this is always displaying "bye"

why? c (just after assignment) contains 6
at the test, c is empty

what am i missing?

it works using

if msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)=vbyes then ....

jooc

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried in in 2003 and 2000. It wall workd fine for me... I would love to
know what might be causing that.

Jim Thomlinson
P.S. Bob is the one who let me in on the whole long thing. I used to always
use int also. Until Bob pointed out the only two (very obscure) long return
values that a message box can send. That knowledge will stick with me until
long after I am dead... Thanks Bob...

"Gixxer_J_97" wrote:

public sub test()
dim c as integer,s1 as string, s2 as string
s1="My Message"
s2 = "My Title"
c=msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)
if c=vbyes then
msgbox "hi"
else
msgbox "bye"
end if
end sub

this is always displaying "bye"

why? c (just after assignment) contains 6
at the test, c is empty

what am i missing?

it works using

if msgbox(s1,vbyesno,s2)=vbyes then ....

jooc

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hmmm - i'm using 2003 and on 2 different machines it did the same thing
both xp pro sp2 - dunno if that makes a difference

also in my project and in a new workbook it failed too - i'm stumped. it
has worked in the past, which is why i'm confused as to why it doesn't now.

/shrug

and i used int because msgbox returns an integer - according to the help.
but thanks for pointing that out.