Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hyperlinks fail after saving

hyperlink in excel fails after saving... \\server\folder\subfolder\file.xls
tunrs to //server/folder/subfolder/file.xls after saving.

thus, i get error message " the address for this site is not valid. Check
the address and try again"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some people have posted back that this works--but for a slightly different
problem. But maybe it'll work for you.

Open your workbook (fix the hyperlinks)
file|Properties|summary tab
change the hyperlink base to something that's always available (maybe c:\)

If that doesn't work, maybe you can drop the insert|Hyperlink version and use
the =hyperlink() worksheet function in an adjacent cell???

I've never seen the =hyperlink() version get messed up.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was having the exact same problem and this fix worked on mine. I set mine
to c:\ (I am on a desktop connected to a network) since that drive will
always be available. [I'm not sure what you would have to specify from a
thin client]. I think the problem at our location is that for load
balancing reasons, you may be assigned to one of three different servers when
you log onto the network. This is transparent to you, but because the
hyperlinks are relative rather than absolute, and because you may not be on
the same servier next time your hyperlink is broken because the starting
location is different. By specifying the starting location, you are in
effect changing the reference to absolute. I would never have thought to
look for the starting hyperlink designation in the properties sheet., Thanks
for your help with this. It was driving me nuts.