Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does hyperlink fail?

Using Excel 2000 (under Windows XP) I cannot get a hyperlink of the form
ProgramXYZ.exe FileToOpen.ext
to work. It fails with the rather unhelpful message "An unexpected error
has occurred."

I've tried several simple examples, such as:
notepad.exe C:\Test.txt
or
C:\windows notepad.exe C:\Test.txt
but all fail. They work fine as normal shortcuts or in the Run box.

Anyone have any insights into this please? Or how to work around it?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 25, 9:05*am, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Using Excel 2000 (under Windows XP) I cannot get a hyperlink of the form
ProgramXYZ.exe FileToOpen.ext
to work. It fails with the rather unhelpful message "An unexpected error
has occurred."

I've tried several simple examples, such as:
notepad.exe C:\Test.txt
or
C:\windows notepad.exe C:\Test.txt
but all fail. They work fine as normal shortcuts or in the Run box.

Anyone have any insights into this please? Or how to work around it?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Sub Macro1()
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c C:\temp\x.txt", 1)
End Sub

this works assuming the default app for .txt is NotePad
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

James Ravenswood wrote:

Sub Macro1()
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c C:\temp\x.txt", 1)
End Sub

Thanks James. But I'm VERY rusty on this - years since I wrote any Excel
macros. After copying that to the clipboard and opening Tools Macro
Visual Basic Editor, do I just paste that into the empty Personal.XLS that
appears? If so, then what?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

James Ravenswood wrote:

Sub Macro1()
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c C:\temp\x.txt", 1)
End Sub

Thanks James. But I'm VERY rusty on this - years since I wrote any Excel
macros. After copying that to the clipboard and opening Tools Macro
Visual Basic Editor, do I just paste that into the empty Personal.XLS that
appears? If so, then what?

Anyone able to remind me what steps to get from the above to a working
macro please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Terry
Now go to ToolsMacroMacros and select Personal.XLS!Macro1
if you didn't change the name of the macro then press Run.
Also you could create a button to execute the macro.
HTH
Cimjet