Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reducing a fraction

Is there a functions that will reduce a fraction in a cell?

I'm running a macro that returns whole numbers and fractions as it's end
result. Sometimes the fractions are in 1/16's other times the fraction is
in 1/8's and 1/4's. I need the fraction that is being returned to always be
reduced.

Right now if I format the value of the cell to be a fraction in sixteenths
and the returned value from the macro is 22 5/8 the cell reads 22 10/16.

And if I format the value of the cell to be a fraction in eighths and the
returned value from the macro is 22 5/16 the cell reads 22 3/8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GreenMonster wrote:
Is there a functions that will reduce a fraction in a cell?

I'm not aware of one, but then I'm not very "up" on the Excel object model either.
From a VB(A) perspective, this is something you can certainly code up, though. Take
a look at http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Fraction for a drop-in ready class that handles
rational numbers. Really, all you need is the GCD:

Private Function Gcd(ByVal a As Long, ByVal b As Long) As Long
' Find greatest common denominator.
If (b = 0) Then
Gcd = a
Else
Gcd = Gcd(b, a Mod b)
End If
End Function

You might like the class, though, as it supports all sorts of other fractional fun.
--
Working Without a .NET?
http://classicvb.org/petition

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

format the cell as up to 2 digits under the Fractions portion of the number
format tab. Just be aware that excel will "round" it to meet the two
digits. The rounding is only for display purposes - it will retain its
decimal value.

Tom Ogilvy

"GreenMonster" wrote in message
Is there a functions that will reduce a fraction in a cell?

I'm running a macro that returns whole numbers and fractions as it's end
result. Sometimes the fractions are in 1/16's other times the fraction is
in 1/8's and 1/4's. I need the fraction that is being returned to always

be
reduced.

Right now if I format the value of the cell to be a fraction in sixteenths
and the returned value from the macro is 22 5/8 the cell reads 22 10/16.

And if I format the value of the cell to be a fraction in eighths and the
returned value from the macro is 22 5/16 the cell reads 22 3/8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi GreenMonster ,
if you want fractions in 1/16's or reduced value
you must Round the cell value to 1/16
like : (1/16)*INT(A1/(1/16) (also use Complementary function MROUND(A1,1/16)
then
format the cell with two digits ie : #" "??/??

9,75 9 3/4 =(1/16)*INT(A1/(1/16))
6,50 6 1/2 =(1/16)*INT(A2/(1/16))
7,34 7 5/16 =(1/16)*INT(A3/(1/16))
7,17 7 1/8 =(1/16)*INT(A4/(1/16))
7,02 7 =(1/16)*INT(A5/(1/16))

You can also change rounding to 1/32's ou 1/64's

Regards