Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default IsEmpty() Returns False in empty cells

Occasionally when I use IsEmpty to see if a cell contains data like
"IsEmpty(Cells(x,y))" it returns "False" when there is nothing there. I've
tested the cell with Len(Cells(x,y)) and it returns 0. Does anyone know why
this happens or how to get around it?
Thanks,
John Hutchins
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It can contain a zero length string. This can be cause when you do a Paste
Special, Value when the cell contained a formula displaying ""

=if(true,"",false)

as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"John Hutchins" <John wrote in message
Occasionally when I use IsEmpty to see if a cell contains data like
"IsEmpty(Cells(x,y))" it returns "False" when there is nothing there.

I've
tested the cell with Len(Cells(x,y)) and it returns 0. Does anyone know

why
this happens or how to get around it?
Thanks,
John Hutchins

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

IsEmpty(), while it seems to work for really empty cells, is meant to
determine if a variable has been initialized.

You may be better off testing as follows if you want cells with formulas
that return null strings to be considered empty:

?Cells(1, 1) = ""
False

--

Vasant