Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I create validation lists which change based on another lis

I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not sure that Excel Hacks is that widely read by knowledgeable users
since the contents are pretty much standard fare. Perhaps you could
elaborate on the general concept that is not workable.

A VBA solution would largely involve looping through your data and only
adding values that meet your previously established criteria to the listbox.

However, the primary image I would have of this requirement would be on a
database that exceeds 10 columns in width. If so, the solution I would
pursue would be an Autofilter. (found under Data=filter=Autofilter). In
this situation, building dependent dropdowns would be reinventing the wheel.

--
Regrds,
Tom Ogilvy

"Pete" wrote in message
I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pete,

I have a similiar problem, but don't actually have Excel Hacks, can you give
me an idea how to get started with this?

"Pete" wrote:

I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

goto

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
Debra Dalgleish's site and look at

Data Validation - Dependent Lists

Tom Ogilvy

"Pete" wrote:

I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns.

VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I create validation lists which change based on another

the book is listed at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/excelhks/chapter/

It is hack #16 and covers several pages -- a little too involved to list here.

"Pete" wrote:

I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My application is data entry in a flat sheet data list based on descending
variables of manufacturer, mode, part no, frequency, etc. The Excel hack
#24 in the ORielly book involve using worksheet functions COUNT, INDIRECT,
MATCH, ADDRESS, AND COUNTIF in each succeeding column but are usable only
thru 2 columns before becoming unwieldy. In addition, entries in later
columns are not cleared if earlier selections are changed.

I know I've seen a more eligant solution, but I can't remember where.

"Pete" wrote in message
I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated to
extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10 columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hack #16 doesn't appear to be one of the ones freely available for reading.

If you don't have the time, probably others don't either except those who
already have their own canned solutions to paste a URL to based on your
general description.

However, you haven't stated anything that would indicate what I suggested
wouldn't be appropriate.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Pete" wrote:

I have tried the example in "Excell Hacks" but it is too complicated

extend over more than 2 columns. I would like to extend to 10

columns. A
VBA solution would be OK if necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I would have the choice data on a hidden sheet and apply an
autofilter. As the user makes selections, apply them to the filter on the
appropriate column. then loop through the visible rows and add the
acceptable choices to the next dropdown

Let Excel do the work for you.

Tom Ogilvy