Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to create Dropdown lists not using Data Validation

Does anyone have any suggestions on creating dropdown lists other than using
Data Validation. I'm creating a checklist in Excel and I want to control what
users enter and also do some conditional formatting (i.e. select completed,
the cell goes green, overdue, the cell turns red).

I expect to have about 20 items to track and for each one the options will
be different. The reason I don't want to use Data Validation is that I want
to publish this to Sharepoint and Sharepoint Excel web part services do not
support Data Validation.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

combo box from forms toolbar
Input range Reference to the range containing the values to display in
the drop-down list.

Cell link Returns the number of the item that's selected in the combo box
(the first item in the list is 1). You can use this number in a formula or
macro to return the actual item from the input range.

For example, if a combo box is linked to cell C1 and the input range for the
list is D10:D15, the following formula returns the value from range D10:D15
based on the selection in the list:

=INDEX(D10:D15,C1)

Drop-down lines Specifies the number of lines to display in the drop-down
list.

3D shading Displays the combo box with a 3-dimensional shaded effect

--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Catlady" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on creating dropdown lists other than using
Data Validation. I'm creating a checklist in Excel and I want to control what
users enter and also do some conditional formatting (i.e. select completed,
the cell goes green, overdue, the cell turns red).

I expect to have about 20 items to track and for each one the options will
be different. The reason I don't want to use Data Validation is that I want
to publish this to Sharepoint and Sharepoint Excel web part services do not
support Data Validation.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With this option (using Excel 2007) I'm still not able to publish on a
Sharepoint Site (we have excel services enabled) but there are several Excel
services that are not supported in Sharepoint, and it seems to include
macros, VBA projects and Data Validation.

Thanks for your help!
Christine (aka Catlady)