Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I don't understand classes¡¡¡¡

Hi, good morning. I bought a VB for Dummies Book (Muller) and Im stop up in
the chapter about Classes, I dont understand a word about classes, for
example, I see the codes, but when I copy them and I press the F8 Button (to
run it) nothing happens, where I can find some information about what to do
with classes??? (in a For dummies Language)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Two mistakes:

1. You bought and are trying to learn from a Dummies Book.
2. Class Modules in VBA are essentially useless. They are really only good
for beautifying (read: complicating) buisiness process code, IMHO.

Concentrate on learning how to write functions, sending and returning values
from functions, and the language itself.

I willing to bet that Dummy book uses examples such as:

String1 + String 2 to concactenate strings, am I wrong?

<shudder

"filo666" wrote in message
Hi, good morning. I bought a VB for Dummies Book (Muller) and I'm stop up

in
the chapter about Classes, I don't understand a word about classes, for
example, I see the codes, but when I copy them and I press the F8 Button

run it) nothing happens, where I can find some information about what to

do
with classes??? (in a For dummies Language)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I was you I would just blow off the chapter on classes for a while. In VBA
there are not that many projects you will do that will require classes and
they can be a little difficult to get your head around. Get the basics down
first and then when you are feeling comfortable take a crack at classes...

A class is a blueprint for creating objects. Once you have the blue print
you can create as many of those objects as you want. In Excel there is a
sheets class and that class is used to create (instantiate) sheet objects.
The sheets object has properties (descriptions of the object) and methods
(thing the object can do). When you add a sheet you basically instatiate an
object of the sheets class. Since Excel already has workbooks and sheets and
ranges, there is not a whole lot of need for you to create your own classes.
Just use the object Excel supplies for you...

"filo666" wrote:

Hi, good morning. I bought a VB for Dummies Book (Muller) and Im stop up in
the chapter about Classes, I dont understand a word about classes, for
example, I see the codes, but when I copy them and I press the F8 Button (to
run it) nothing happens, where I can find some information about what to do
with classes??? (in a For dummies Language)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Steve Schroeder" wrote in message

2. Class Modules in VBA are essentially useless. They are really only good
for beautifying (read: complicating) buisiness process code, IMHO.

Duck, the arrows should be flying any moment!

String1 + String 2 to concactenate strings, am I wrong?

You really have a bee about +.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

LOL...yeah, I imagine so. The only people who care about classes are
programmers.

Yes I do have a 'bee' about +...lol. Ever see one of those gawd awful Sams
or Queue books touting the latest version of VB, only to see in the first
chapter examples of connecting strings using a +?

Clearly they just regurgitate old chapters and tack on a new one at the end,
and then fool the customer into thinking that have an up-to-date book on
VBA/VB.

Yuck!

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

"Steve Schroeder" wrote in message

2. Class Modules in VBA are essentially useless. They are really only

good
for beautifying (read: complicating) buisiness process code, IMHO.

Duck, the arrows should be flying any moment!

String1 + String 2 to concactenate strings, am I wrong?

You really have a bee about +.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/excel2000ian/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/exlmacro2/

Either one of these would probably be the best choice.

"filo666" wrote in message
Hi, good morning. I bought a VB for Dummies Book (Muller) and I'm stop

up
in
the chapter about Classes, I don't understand a word about classes,

for
example, I see the codes, but when I copy them and I press the F8

Button
run it) nothing happens, where I can find some information about what

do
with classes??? (in a For dummies Language)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Steve Schroeder" wrote in message
LOL...yeah, I imagine so. The only people who care about classes are
programmers.

Well I happen to think that classes are a necessary aspect of good design
of an application, to achieve encapsulation, abstraction, ease of
maintenance, and so on and so on. Much of this can be achieved in other
ways, classes are just the best IMO.

There are also some things you just cannot do without classes, application
events as an example.

Yes I do have a 'bee' about +...lol.

It's just that I have seen you mention it twice today, but rarely encounter
it in the 'real' world.

Ever see one of those gawd awful Sams
or Queue books touting the latest version of VB, only to see in the first
chapter examples of connecting strings using a +?
Clearly they just regurgitate old chapters and tack on a new one at the

end,
and then fool the customer into thinking that have an up-to-date book on
VBA/VB.

Can't comment on that, haven't read that many books, at least not ones that
would address string concatenation. Read a SAMs book on SQL once, but don't
think that had + <vbg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's fair certainly. Personally, and quite obvious I'm sure, I've never
had a need for them. I've never had a real-world problem that required
raising an event a control didn't already handle. Just like with database
normalization/denormalization, abstraction, encapsulation can also be taken
to extremes, making code a bitch to debug.

I use functions almost exclusively, data in, data out...comment my code,
and use error checking judiciously.

If it gets any more complicated than that, it probably don't belong in an
Office VBA app.

again, my humble opinion...and not a judgement or criticism of anyone :)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a tool bar menu addin item that if you have it checked it
automatically add the name and path to the footer of the document being
printed. To do this I need to use an event from a class module. No other
choice. One simple example...

"Steve Schroeder" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Steve Schroeder wrote:
I use functions almost exclusively, data in, data out...comment my

code,
and use error checking judiciously.

If it gets any more complicated than that, it probably don't belong

in an
Office VBA app.

It's a paradigm shift: you don't get it 'til you get it. I bet there
are many out there who say, 'If the Macro Recorder can't record it, it
probably don't belong in a macro,' but they have to 'get' the fact that
Select'ing and Activate'ing isn't the best approach before they can
progress.

Jamie.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jamie,

I wondered when you were going to join in, and I am surprised by your muted
tone. Where is my classes evangelist :-)

Regards

Bob

"Jamie Collins" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Schroeder wrote:
I use functions almost exclusively, data in, data out...comment my

code,
and use error checking judiciously.

If it gets any more complicated than that, it probably don't belong

in an
Office VBA app.

It's a paradigm shift: you don't get it 'til you get it. I bet there
are many out there who say, 'If the Macro Recorder can't record it, it
probably don't belong in a macro,' but they have to 'get' the fact that
Select'ing and Activate'ing isn't the best approach before they can
progress.

Jamie.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's probably a fair assessment. I've never understood classes completely,
and therefore never use them and 'make due' with functions alone. A far cry
from the macro example I believe, but your point is well taken.

I would have to say it has more to do with style than anything else.

A program will function and maintain just as well with functions alone, or
classes and functions. Assuming both are well documented, and both use error
checking judiciously.