Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 crashing - turn off autorecover?

My office just recently converted to Excel 2003 (from 97) - and it seems that
it crashes way more than 2000 or 97. In fact, sometimes I now open files in
97 and save with 97 to make the Excel files smaller and it seems to help out
the crashing issue as well.

And then autorecover always takes over and it just gets in the way. I am in
the habit of saving anything I want to keep before running anything, so it's
just an additional step. I've turned autorecover off - but it appears that
there is also an autorecover associated with the workbook or something - but
it still seems to go into autorecovery mode.

I am a programmer and work exclusively with VBA (mostly Excel) - but it
seems that other people at my office are having similar experiences (with
2003 crashing more), and they work with spreadsheets without any VBA. And
autorecover mode just confuses the issue.

Is there a way to disable autorecover altogether? And why are the files so
much bigger? I'm keeping 97 on my machine just to fix this problem and to
compress files.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've turned autorecover off - but it appears that there is also an
autorecover associated with the workbook or something - but

it still seems to go into autorecovery mode.

I've turned it off too, by unchecking the "Save AutoRecovery..." box, and
it's stayed off, not saving a recovery workbook, etc. So you're seeing that
a recovery workbook is being saved to the Autorecovery save location despite
the feature being turned off?

I haven't seen much more crashing in Excel 2003 but I have seen the file
shrinking you mentioned when saving in Excel 2000 (I don't use 97). I think
though that that is mostly because the VB project becomes uncompiled. If
you ran the code (in all the modules) I think you'd see the size come back
to a large extent.

One thing I've seen that you haven't mentioned is that macros run slower by
a factor of about 1.6 in 20333 versus 2000.

--
Jim
"Ken Valenti" wrote in message
| My office just recently converted to Excel 2003 (from 97) - and it seems
that
| it crashes way more than 2000 or 97. In fact, sometimes I now open files
in
| 97 and save with 97 to make the Excel files smaller and it seems to help
out
| the crashing issue as well.
|
| And then autorecover always takes over and it just gets in the way. I am
in
| the habit of saving anything I want to keep before running anything, so
it's
| just an additional step. I've turned autorecover off - but it appears
that
| there is also an autorecover associated with the workbook or something -
but
| it still seems to go into autorecovery mode.
|
| I am a programmer and work exclusively with VBA (mostly Excel) - but it
| seems that other people at my office are having similar experiences (with
| 2003 crashing more), and they work with spreadsheets without any VBA. And
| autorecover mode just confuses the issue.
|
| Is there a way to disable autorecover altogether? And why are the files
so
| much bigger? I'm keeping 97 on my machine just to fix this problem and to
| compress files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a macro I just wrote that runs in 5 seconds in Excel 97 and takes
almost 5 minutes ( 4 minutes 50 seconds) in Excel 2003.