Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I use autosave in excel 2003 instead of autorecover?

I have upgraded from office 2000 to 2003 and we use to use the autosave
function on a PC that is communal. Since the upgrade I cannot find the
autosave option, only the autorecover.

The problem is, since this is a comunal PC, people very often reboot the PC,
without first saving open work, or indeed click no when asked to save the
worksheet. With autosave, if this happened we would only loose 5 mins worth
of work, but now complete days are lost. Can anybody help.

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cthorne999,

From a previous post

If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via
windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs

If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin
from an earlier version, it should work ok.

You can download the 97 version here
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as
autosave,
but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a
user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from
the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open
the
last version it saved.
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"cthorne999" wrote in message
I have upgraded from office 2000 to 2003 and we use to use the autosave
function on a PC that is communal. Since the upgrade I cannot find the
autosave option, only the autorecover.

The problem is, since this is a comunal PC, people very often reboot the
PC,
without first saving open work, or indeed click no when asked to save the
worksheet. With autosave, if this happened we would only loose 5 mins
worth
of work, but now complete days are lost. Can anybody help.

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

AUTOSAVE.XLA was last shipped with Excel 2000 and newer versions do not include
it.

It cannot be found on any MS site but..............

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

I have used the 97 version on Excel 2002 and 2003 and seems to operate well.

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP