Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default lookup for a combo box in VBA

Ok, thanks to Patrick I have my combo box working. Of coarse there is a but,
the
combo box returns a number in the database. Do I have to write a function
in the macro to
lookup the correct text? I have used vlookup in excel but never in a macro.
Help please! Right now in column 4 and 5 there is number instead of the
vendors name and ranch name.

This is what it looks like thus far:

Private Sub cmdAdd_Click()

' copy the data to the database
ws.Cells(iRow, 1).Value = "=R[-1]C+1"
ws.Cells(iRow, 2).Value = Me.txtInvoice.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 3).Value = Me.txtDate.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 4).Value = Me.cboVend.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 5).Value = Me.cboRan.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 7).Value = Me.txtPallet.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 8).Value = Me.txtQty.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 10).Value = Me.txtRepakHrs.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 11).Value = Me.txtRepakQty.Value
ws.Cells(iRow, 12).Value = "Purchase"
Me.txtInvoice.SetFocus

Though daily learning, I LOVE EXCEL!
Jennifer
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you don't say is where the data is so I will make assumptions.

You are getting a number from the Combobox, and so all you use is

ws.Cells(iRow, 4).Value = Application,VLOOKUP(Me.cboVend.Value, _
Range("H1:M100"),2,False)
ws.Cells(iRow, 7).Value = Application,VLOOKUP(Me.cboVend.Value, _
Range("H1:M100"),3,False)

assuming that the data is in H1:M100, and that vendor and ranch are in I and
J respectively, columns 2 and 3 of the data table.

--

HTH

RP

"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Generall format for VLOOKUP is:

where MyVal is Lookup Value e..g Me.cboVend.Value
myRng is Lookup table e.g VendorList?
n is the column in the lookup range with only two columns n=2 as
first column is the loolup value
False means the table does not have to be in sorted order

Dim res as Variant

res = Application.VLookup(myVal, myRng, n, False)

If IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "No match"
Else
MsgBox res
End If
ws.Cells(iRow, 4).Value =res
So for Vlookup:

res=Application.Vlookup(me.cbovend,VendorLisdt,2,f alse)
If IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "No match"
Else

End If

"Jennifer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, finger trouble!

So for your Vlookup:

res=Application.Vlookup(Me.cboVend.value,VendorLis t,2,false)
If IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "No match"
Else
ws.Cells(iRow, 4).Value =res
End If

If you have two columns in your combobox i.e number and vendor name then you
could use:

ws.Cells(iRow, 4).Value =Me.cboVend.List(Me.cboVend.Value - 1, 1)

HTH

"Jennifer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming your combobox is on a userform, then it sounds like you have set
the boundcolumn property to zero. This returns the ListIndex property
rather than the value selected. Change it to 1 and it should return what is
displayed in the textbox. No need to use vlookup if this is the situation.

Tom Ogilvy

"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks everyone. Tom was right about my bound columns. First time using and I
won't make that same mistake I promise. Thank you everyone else for the
lookup syntax, I will try, it just to learn.
Regards, Jennifer