Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Combo Box lookup

Please bear with me on this one...I hav
a worksheet that lists truck drivers, locations they service, rout
#, truck # and some other related info. I have the auto filte
turned on and I have everything in seperate columns except for th
locations, they are in a single column seperated by a comma. Som
drivers may have up to 6 different locations they cover in a give
day, others have only 1.
I have standardized the cities so that they have common abbreviations
I have made a list of the cities and their abbreviations and linke
them to a combo box for easier reference. Then I have to eithe
"find"(ctrl + F) the city I'm looking for or do a "custom" searc
under the "cities" column (using auto filter). Both of these option
work but I would like to search directly from the comb
box so that when a city is selected the auto filter wil
automatically do a "contains" search on the column and only show th
rows with that city liste
I know I could do a macro but I'm not sure if thats the best option.
I have several people using this that don't know Excel at all so I'
trying to make it as simple as possible

Any help/ideas/suggestions are appreciated
Cla
--------
www.coffeecozy.co

Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To me, the easiest non macro approach would be to use the next available
column and put in a formula like

=if($M$1="","",if(isnumber(Search($M$1,F2)),"Yes", "No"))

Say you city data is in Column F and this formula would be in G2. The
city name from the combobox would be in Cell M1.

Now drag fill down the column. Then you can apply your filter to this
column for the value Yes.

If you wanted instant results, you could have the click event of the
combobox reapply the filter criteria using a short macro.

Tom Ogilvy

"CEN7272 - ExcelForums.com" wrote
in message ...
Please bear with me on this one...I have
a worksheet that lists truck drivers, locations they service, route
#, truck # and some other related info. I have the auto filter
turned on and I have everything in seperate columns except for the
locations, they are in a single column seperated by a comma. Some
drivers may have up to 6 different locations they cover in a given
day, others have only 1.
I have standardized the cities so that they have common abbreviations.
I have made a list of the cities and their abbreviations and linked
them to a combo box for easier reference. Then I have to either
"find"(ctrl + F) the city I'm looking for or do a "custom" search
under the "cities" column (using auto filter). Both of these options
work but I would like to search directly from the combo
box so that when a city is selected the auto filter will
automatically do a "contains" search on the column and only show the
rows with that city listed
I know I could do a macro but I'm not sure if thats the best option.
I have several people using this that don't know Excel at all so I'm
trying to make it as simple as possible.

Any help/ideas/suggestions are appreciated.
Clay
---------
www.coffeecozy.com

Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm new to VBA. Could anyone give me some good sites for reference to
build the macro for this appl.
Another Note about this sheet. The combo box references a column that
has concatenated two columns that contain the city name and
abbreviation. I would like to reference, just the column with the
abbreviations for the filter. I'm sure this isn't difficult but I'm
just not sure where to start, so if someone could help by pointing me
in the right direction, I would appreciate it
-Clay
---------
www.coffeecozy.com

Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good!