Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to write a autosave macro for a shared workbook?

In my limited testing, the older version worked fine.

Personally, I don't like the autosave addin. I don't like anything that
overwrites my file--I play "what-if" games too often.

And I don't like that I lose the edit|undo ability after the save.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
last version it saved.

===
And Gord Dibben posted this:

Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
To download the 97 version see here........
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

Frank wrote:

In earlier versions (the last one in excel 2000?) there was an ad-in macro
(autosave.xla) that allowed autosave on shared workbooks.

I don't know if this is harmful to use on the excel 2003 version?

Any suggestion on writing a similiar macro for excel 2003?

Thanks

Frank

--

Dave Peterson