Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Count entries when two criteria are met

I need to count the number of entries in a spreadsheet where a chosen string
appears anywhere in column K and a (different) chosen string ALSO appears in
column D. I have tried to call this by putting a formula in the cell where
the result should appear.

For example - count all the rows where "Smith" appears in column K and "Not
present" appears in column D and put the result in cell A1.

As far as I can discover, you can't use COUNTIF with two parameters and I
believe SUMPRODUCT can be used, although I think I've read that you can't use
SUMPRODUCT on entire columns.

I've read all the posts I can find around this and - sorry all - I can't
really understand what I should do. Would any kind person be able to tell me
in VERY SIMPLE words if this can be done and how?

Thanks in advance - I'm new to this and currently beaten!!

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You're right...you can't use SUMPRODUCT when evaluating
entire columns. But the question is, do you really need
to reference entire columns? Do you have 65,536 rows of
data? Try using a formula like:

=SUMPRODUCT((K1:K10000="string1")*(D1:D10000="stri ng2"))

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

.