Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett[_4_] Don Guillett[_4_] is offline

Default Count entries when two criteria are met

use sumproduct on ranges such as a2:a200. Suggest using a defined name range
that is self adjusting and use that name in the formula.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"SueJB" wrote in message
I need to count the number of entries in a spreadsheet where a chosen

string
appears anywhere in column K and a (different) chosen string ALSO appears

in
column D. I have tried to call this by putting a formula in the cell

where
the result should appear.

For example - count all the rows where "Smith" appears in column K and

"Not
present" appears in column D and put the result in cell A1.

As far as I can discover, you can't use COUNTIF with two parameters and I
believe SUMPRODUCT can be used, although I think I've read that you can't

use
SUMPRODUCT on entire columns.

I've read all the posts I can find around this and - sorry all - I can't
really understand what I should do. Would any kind person be able to tell

me
in VERY SIMPLE words if this can be done and how?

Thanks in advance - I'm new to this and currently beaten!!

Sue