Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob Rob is offline

Default tricky one to match between 2 s/sheets

Hi I have two files which I need to use together in order
to match some values from one spreadsheet to the next but
using a button

The two files are laid out like this; the CSV file has
headers-

exportentire09042005_10_00_23.csv

Index # Unique ref Unique ref sub ref
Amount Date
AB0001
ML000001 1000 19/10/2004
AB0001
ML000002 2000
AB0001
ML000003 3000
AB0002
ML000004
4000

AB0002
ML000005 5000
AB0003
ML000006 6000
AB0004
ML000007 7000
AB0005
ML000008 8000
AB0005
ML000009 9000
AB0005
ML000010 10000
AB0006
ML000011 11000

The index number is unused in the second spreadsheet so I
have left it blank. It holds the primary index numbers
from the source table in a db.

The date has the date at which the amount was recorded

The name of the CSV file is always different as it is
never the same date and time it is generated, it may have
a different phrase at the beginning but I will make it
fixed for now and do a file picker later.

The second filename is always fixed but may change in
future so I will take the same approach it is an xls file.

The file is laid out in a large list with lots of
corresponding references; I need to use the unique ref
sub ref in the first file to be the search criteria
because the second spreadsheet will only contain this on
one row.

This will give me the row number to paste the other
information from the first sheet into on the second
sheet. To get the column code to know where to paste
into I will have to use the header at the top of the page
for the first one which will be called unique ref.

The second is tricky, what I would like to achieve is to
search along the row until the nearest date to the date
column in the first spreadsheet is found, in the second
sheet it will have in the row dates with two empty
columns next to it in the row.

The second spreadsheet date format look like this d-mmm
and the actual date is as you see it below.

The row looks like this -

Preferred date ¦amount ¦ actual date ¦ Preferred date
¦amount ¦ actual date ¦
28-Oct ¦ ¦ ¦ 28-
Nov ¦ 1000 ¦ 19/10/2004 ¦

If anyone can help me let me know.